Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Absolutely. That’s a given.

When you look at it based on current tariffs (inc low overnight tariffs) and predicted changes then it makes sense to store energy in the batteries (from solar and/or overnight cheaper rates) and use when load/prices are at a maximum.

Like everything, it’s not one size fits all but when I calculated the numbers it made long term financial sense to us to include a battery in the install with the option of additional ones later, if required.

Agreed - I have a battery to go with my PV. I fill my battery to the max at night (7.5p / kWh) and then use it during the day. If I am lucky enough to have a sunny day and charge the battery fully then I am selling back at 15p / kWh). I shall continue to do this in summer when the battery will essentially be fully charged for almost the entire time.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Agreed - I have a battery to go with my PV. I fill my battery to the max at night (7.5p / kWh) and then use it during the day. If I am lucky enough to have a sunny day and charge the battery fully then I am selling back at 15p / kWh). I shall continue to do this in summer when the battery will essentially be fully charged for almost the entire time.

didnt think you was allowed to be on the GO tariff and outgoing fixed........

jowwy

I think your outgoing has to be on outgoing fixed if you are on GO. The one you can't have is outgoing Agile with it.

you can't be on both outgoingOctopus and OctopusGo, our EV tariff, at the same time......

Thats what octopus state, and it doesnt say agile or fixed

Alex321

Veteran
you can't be on both outgoingOctopus and OctopusGo, our EV tariff, at the same time......

Thats what octopus state, and it doesnt say agile or fixed

That implies you can't now have Go at all if you have any outgoing.

I'm sure it used to be different, when I was looking at signing up.

jowwy

That implies you can't now have Go at all if you have any outgoing.

I'm sure it used to be different, when I was looking at signing up.

it may well have been, but thats their current statement on their website......

Hmmm interesting. We are on Octopus Go at the moment - I'm not sure it'd be worth our while swapping to an outgoing tariff to get paid for bits of solar generated.

jowwy

Hmmm interesting. We are on Octopus Go at the moment - I'm not sure it'd be worth our while swapping to an outgoing tariff to get paid for bits of solar generated.

maybe it wont, but some of us export around 70% of what we generating

maybe it wont, but some of us export around 70% of what we generating

Blimey. I think I will need to break out my spreadsheets to model this !!

Alex321

Veteran

That probably depends on how much of your charging is done from the grid, combined with how much surplus you have to export.

If you are generating enough to both provide the power you need and charge your car, then GO may not be the best way for you. But if you aren't (and at this time of year that is very probably the case), then it probably is the best way.

That probably depends on how much of your charging is done from the grid, combined with how much surplus you have to export.

If you are generating enough to both provide the power you need and charge your car, then GO may not be the best way for you. But if you aren't (and at this time of year that is very probably the case), then it probably is the best way.

Well according to the totals - the panels would in theory cover the demands of the house - but the EV charging is the same again.
I think we will stick with GO for the time being and keep an eye out for new tariffs and developments.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
didnt think you was allowed to be on the GO tariff and outgoing fixed........

Sorry - late back to the thread. When I signed up it was not allowed but somehow it all went through.

1674745259102.png

gbb

Legendary Member
The one thing, for better or worse, is these increases must have taught many to just be aware of our usage
Pre price rises, I think our monthly combined bills were IRO £100
Last monthly bill went up to £260, that included extra heating of course due to the weather and a fair increase in tumble drying, albeit with a very economical one..
Latest bill in today, £199, electric usage up somewhat, gas usage down but a fairly good overall drop in consumption.
House has been cooler tbf, borderline too much so. We've been quite ruthless with the thermostat whenever possible

Top Bottom