Entered my First Audax - now what???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Audax riders don't have any support mechanics, so need to be self-sufficient, with the result that many of them are very knowledgeable about bike maintenance and fixing. Quite a few build their own bikes up, being the best way to learn all about it. :okay:

Now there's an idea for you !!! :wahhey:
But if I've never used a support mechanic or a broom wagon and have only ever been stranded on a ride once... :okay:
I have neither the energy, the digital dexterity, nor the common sense required for proper bike maintenance :sad:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Okaaaaaaay, so no mincing around and just get on with it - goddit.

Already have pencil and backup pen looked out, spare batteries purchased, with map in a waterproof case. Not laid out my kit yet, maybe tomorrow night...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Not laid out my kit yet, maybe tomorrow night...
If you are driving to the start remember to put your cycling shoes in the bag too … :whistle:

… and, yes it has been done … even by someone on CC ! :ohmy:

and at the start of LEL !!!:eek:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I have neither the energy, the digital dexterity, nor the common sense required for proper bike maintenance :sad:
Brain the size of a planet … and fingers … well … err … much the same ! :ohmy:

You're not nearly as ham-fisted as you might think. :stop: A wee bit of practice and you'd be fine (and a bit wealthier … :whistle: … maybe even n+1 wealthier ?? ;))

The question of how long you stop at controls is directly proportional to how you ride. A steady ride at a constant pace off the back of a good training base will see you through bouncing the controls save for a quick drink and a energy bar. Ride beyond your means will see you needing to stop more and potentially your speed dropping off a cliff for rides over 200 miles.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Looks like I'm going to have to do without the Garmin as a route finder/follower - uploaded the .tcx file to it, went to cycle to work and all I get is the "Working..." error. I'm sure if I remove the course it will work again, but that doesn't really help with routing. Just tried a manual upload to Garmin Connect which doesn't work either.

Map and laminated sheets it is then!

Top Bottom