Entered my First Audax - now what???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you can't get the tcx to work, try saving it as a gpx track. No prompting but at least it'll give you a line to follow. That's how I normally navigate audaxes.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
If you can't get the tcx to work, try saving it as a gpx track. No prompting but at least it'll give you a line to follow. That's how I normally navigate audaxes.

Not sure if it is something to do with Garmin using .fit files? I thought I could manually upload it to Connect as a ride then save as a route, but no joy...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Try a GPX format file instead of a TCX? It has worked for me in the past. Upload to somewhere (like bikehike as @mcshroom suggests) and download again as a gpx.

Edit. Duh. Well, (a) that will teach me to read the whole thread and (b) shows that @mcshroom and I agree. Which may or may not be a good thing.

Plug the unit into your computer via the data cable.

Go to the GPX folder.

Copy the attached and you should be good to go.

Attachments

• The_Erit_Lass.gpx
    651.1 KB · Views: 86

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Not sure if it is something to do with Garmin using .fit files? I thought I could manually upload it to Connect as a ride then save as a route, but no joy...
Never used FIT files, but I have an etrex not an edge. There seems to be some issues with TCX on 500s/800s from a very quick search on google, and it looks like you can use gpx (but don't then get cues).

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Never used FIT files, but I have an etrex not an edge. There seems to be some issues with TCX on 500s/800s from a very quick search on google, and it looks like you can use gpx (but don't then get cues).

Yeah I followed the guide on RideWithGPS, with no joy.

It sounds like your garmin is stuck in processing mode. Mount it as a USB device, navigate to the Garmin\NewFiles directory, and delete everything from there.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
It sounds like your garmin is stuck in processing mode. Mount it as a USB device, navigate to the Garmin\NewFiles directory, and delete everything from there.

Yeah that's what I'll do tonight - unfortunately that's exactly where it stores Routes... :wacko:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
It doesn't store routes there, that's where you put routes to be processed. They get converted to .fit files and moved...

Not what it says on the RideWithGPS instructions:

1. Plug in your Garmin
  2. On the website, navigate to your route or ride.
  3. If you are a premium user, use the Garmin Write feature of the site
  4. Otherwise, click the Export tab then click on TCX Course
  5. If your computer prompts you to save the file to a specific location, place it somewhere memorable like the desktop.
  6. Using the Finder, My Computer or other tool on your computer, open up the drive associated with the Garmin, usually labeled Garmin
  7. Open the Garmin folder located inside the Garmin drive.
  8. Click/drag the exported file from your desktop to the NewFiles folder.
  9. Safely remove the Garmin (Eject on an Apple machine) and unplug it from the computer
  10. After powering it on click the Courses icon and locate your route

Top Bottom