Entered my First Audax - now what???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Not what it says on the RideWithGPS instructions:

1. Plug in your Garmin
  2. On the website, navigate to your route or ride.
  3. If you are a premium user, use the Garmin Write feature of the site
  4. Otherwise, click the Export tab then click on TCX Course
  5. If your computer prompts you to save the file to a specific location, place it somewhere memorable like the desktop.
  6. Using the Finder, My Computer or other tool on your computer, open up the drive associated with the Garmin, usually labeled Garmin
  7. Open the Garmin folder located inside the Garmin drive.
  8. Click/drag the exported file from your desktop to the NewFiles folder.
  9. Safely remove the Garmin (Eject on an Apple machine) and unplug it from the computer
  10. After powering it on click the Courses icon and locate your route

When the Garmin is turned on/disconnected form the PC, it checks the NewFiles folder and converts the file and writes it to the courses directory. It will then empty the NewFiles directory.

Make sure you only add one file at a time to 'NewFiles' before you disconnect. If you do multiple it will fail.

Also RWGPS makes you buy a premium membership to be able to get warnings on your turns, bikeroutetoaster will do it for free.

Edit: if you want to send me your gpx/tcx I can create a working Garmin course for you and send it back.

Not what it says on the RideWithGPS instructions:
Yes, Bertie. You put files into the NewFiles directory and then "eject" your Garmin. When you next power it on, the Garmin will go through every file in the NewFiles directory, converting them to .fit files and moving them to the Courses directory.
Trust me, I know this :okay:

Edit: damn, @Milkfloat beat me to it

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
When the Garmin is turned on/disconnected form the PC, it checks the NewFiles folder and converts the file and writes it to the courses directory. It will then empty the NewFiles directory.

Make sure you only add one file at a time to 'NewFiles' before you disconnect. If you do multiple it will fail.

Also RWGPS makes you buy a premium membership to be able to get warnings on your turns, bikeroutetoaster will do it for free.

Edit: if you want to send me your gpx/tcx I can create a working Garmin course for you and send it back.

Yes, Bertie. You put files into the NewFiles directory and then "eject" your Garmin. When you next power it on, the Garmin will go through every file in the NewFiles directory, converting them to .fit files and moving them to the Courses directory.
Trust me, I know this :okay:

Edit: damn, @Milkfloat beat me to it

Ah! That all makes sense, as I copied 2 routes to the NewFiles directory (1 to test and 1 the actual ride).

What I will do tonight then is clear the folder, upload the actual ride, go outside and turn it on to allow it to convert (I'm assuming this will take a few mins?) then go to Courses and see if it is there - does that make sense? If not I'll get in touch with @Milkfloat again!

Thanks for the help gents :okay:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Garmin is sorted! :wahhey:

All I did was leave it on for a bit to process the files then let it restart - went to courses and bingo! Took 3-4 minutes to load the course but now I know it works I am sorted. Thanks @mcshroom @Milkfloat and @Edwardoka for the advice, thought I'd knackered it! I have a Forerunner 110 which I may take as a backup too.

Just got to cycle 208k now... *gulp*

I have a Forerunner 110 which I may take as a backup too.
No harm having a backup, if you have room. You'll feel a fool if you need it, and it's sitting on your bed.

Do you have a computer on your bike? Assuming some catastrophic garmin failure, do you have a way to measure distance? You need it to follow a routesheet. If you do, then routesheet+speedo == backup. Forerunner would be backup backup.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's an audax - all distances are measured in km ! ;)

Well yes. I run the Glastonbury 100 Miler. Officially it's 170km. Which reminds me I haven't scheduled it for 2016 yet.

Top Bottom