Etape Caledonia has sold out!

Will you be in Pitlochry on the 16th of May

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
magnatom said:
Hey HLaB, good to hear from you again. I hope all is well with you.

If you do make it, I'll be taking the bungie cord.....:biggrin:
Yeah, great to hear from you again, HLaB :biggrin:

<I'll be taking the bricks for his pockets ... ;)>

magnatom said:
Hey HLaB, good to hear from you again. I hope all is well with you.

If you do make it, I'll be taking the bungie cord.....:laugh:

scoosh said:
Yeah, great to hear from you again, HLaB ;)

<I'll be taking the bricks for his pockets ... :biggrin:>
Hiya, I bumped into HJ on the way home from uni last night and he reminded me to pop in here from time to time.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
HLaB said:
Hiya, I bumped into HJ on the way home from uni last night and he reminded me to pop in here from time to time.
Aye, we keep trying to tell him to get some decent lights. :laugh: Hope you didn't bump too hard !

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
adscrim said:
Looks like we've a wee cyclechat peleton developing at 4.5hrs!

Is that 4.5hrs with or without stops? I hoping to include stops in that so 4hrs cycling max 30 min for stops - whether I manage it is another matter:smile:

viniga

Guru
Whats the chance of those going for under 4.5h (including stops) forming a team then?

Much easier if we chaingang along and share the effort... choo choo!

Just a thought...

Viniga

Waspie

Über Member
viniga said:
Whats the chance of those going for under 4.5h (including stops) forming a team then?

Just a thought...

Viniga

The difficulty would be with the assigned start times from the organisers. Last year I signed up with the same estimated completion time as two of my colleagues at work, we were assigned totally different start times.

OP
OP
adscrim

adscrim

Veteran
Waspie said:
The difficulty would be with the assigned start times from the organisers. Last year I signed up with the same estimated completion time as two of my colleagues at work, we were assigned totally different start times.

Last year I missed my start time and just set off with the next group to go after I arrived. I don't think anyone was checking numbers. It may be that I they where and didn't care that I was in a later group but I can't imagine they're going to try pull you out of a mass on cyclists because you're a few minutes early.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
viniga said:

Just a thought...

Viniga

Sounds good to me if others are up for it - never cycled in big a group before ;) so you may have to be gentle with me but more than happy to do my share of the work :bicycle:

Bah! All this talk of sub 4.5 hours rides, working as a team, bah! Assuming you stop for a break, you'll all have to break the 19mph average speed barrier. I have written down some equations (I'm a physicist you know!)that suggest that this is impossible unless you have cybernetic adaptions to your legs. Therefore, if you all beat my time, I know why! ;):bicycle:

viniga

Guru
It really is surprising how much faster you go when wheelsucking.

I did the etape course twice in practice on my own last year before the event. Was clocking just over and just under 5 hours.

If I hadn't been 'tacked' I was on course for sub 4:30 on the day and had an average speed of over 20mph for the first half of the course. I wheelsuck well!

It might be a bit difficult to sort out but I think we should have a go. We need a sprinter and a hill climber and a few guys to carry water... ;)

gavintc

Guru
viniga said:
It really is surprising how much faster you go when wheelsucking.

I did the etape course twice in practice on my own last year before the event. Was clocking just over and just under 5 hours.

If I hadn't been 'tacked' I was on course for sub 4:30 on the day and had an average speed of over 20mph for the first half of the course. I wheelsuck well!

It might be a bit difficult to sort out but I think we should have a go. We need a sprinter and a hill climber and a few guys to carry water... ;)

I completely agree, I jumped onto the back of well developed and faster moving chains as they came past. At all times, I was on my limit keeping with them and would have struggled to 'do my turn'. But, I just hung on in there at the back and was wheelsucked to a time - just over 4 hours (but that was in 2008). I think the numbers have grown to a point that 'traffic' will prevent a good time. These are narrow roads and congestion will be a major factor.

Top Bottom