Etape Caledonia has sold out!

Will you be in Pitlochry on the 16th of May

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
viniga said:
My manboobs have shrunk somewhat so hopefully I am no longer taken as a girl when I wear lycra :biggrin:

V
hhmmm ... the legs are a bit of a give-away, though :biggrin:

+1 to congrats on impending fatherhood :ohmy: :biggrin:. Biggest change to your life coming up ... ;)

After the report in today's Sunday Times stating that Pitlochry is full of swingers, I have decided to vote for "the spectacle" rather than a time.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article7035050.ece
Anyone going up early for a course recce could be in for a nice group ride, it would appear.
It'll be my first "proper" ride, & the weather, work and loss of commute hasn't helped my training much, but I'm looking forward to it.

Noodley

I'll start a thread sometime this week, but as an early notification I plan to have a recce ride on Sunday 11th April.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Sunday !!! :sad: I work every Sunday so will have to put in for a holiday - I'll use an emergency one if needed :smile: Will keep my eyes on the thread and cheers for taking on the organising mate :blush:

Stephen-D

Noodley said:
I'll start a thread sometime this week, but as an early notification I plan to have a recce ride on Sunday 11th April.

Sounds good mate, i too work a Sunday but im sure i can get time off, will make up a story, i told my work i was competing in the Etape Caledonia and so there giving me paid leave for taking part in a sporting event, got the whole weekend off :blush:

will have my new bike by then as well so it should be doubley fun.

Noodley

Saturday is not a good day for me for cycling - too many things to do with the kids - hence the choice of Sunday. I'll write a note to any employers :blush:

LeeW

I'm hoping for under 4 hours this year. Last year I had a computer time of 3:44 for the truncated 73 mile route. I was not going to stop atall last year, having loaded 2.5l of energy drink at the start, enough for the whole distance. Anyway I ended up getting stuck at the top of the climb for about 70 mins.
I'm hoping to get an early start slot this year. Last year despite putting down 4:30 on the seeding form I ended up close to the tail end and thus was basically passing everyone and did not really get to follow any wheels.

kennykool

Noodley said:
Saturday is not a good day for me for cycling - too many things to do with the kids - hence the choice of Sunday. I'll write a note to any employers :laugh:

Good job Noodley. I will help you plan and organise this. I have 7 signed up so far and we are proposing to do the entire route on 11th April. Maybe even climbing Schehallion twice??

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
kennykool said:
Good job Noodley. I will help you plan and organise this. I have 7 signed up so far and we are proposing to do the entire route on 11th April. Maybe even climbing Schehallion twice??
Enjoy your ride ! ;)

Personally, I intend to use the recce to ride the route, missing out going round Loch Rannoch and probably skipping the loop round Fortingall, both of which are flattish and just add distance - not required for a recce.

Mind you, at the pace I go, you will probably finish your entire route, with 2x Schiehallion, about the same time (or sooner :biggrin:)

Noodley

scoosh said:
Enjoy your ride ! ;)

Personally, I intend to use the recce to ride the route, missing out going round Loch Rannoch and probably skipping the loop round Fortingall, both of which are flattish and just add distance - not required for a recce.

Mind you, at the pace I go, you will probably finish your entire route, with 2x Schiehallion, about the same time (or sooner :biggrin:)

Don't worry scoosh I intend to have 'full route' and 'missing out the flat bits which just add distance' options...

The Pitlochry 150km audax is a couple of weeks after the recce so I might wait til then to step up my distance...

:tongue:

I don't think I'm going to be able to take part in this.

My cycling plans this year are going to pot unfortunately. Whilst I am doing more cycling on my commute (20-23 miles a day), I'm not managing any time out on the bike for training. Unfortunately, our 2 boys and out new little girl (wonderful as they are of course!) are keeping me way too busy, and I have yet to find time to get out on the bike to train. :becool:

I am very disappointed but I don't think doing the Etape would be a good idea without any or little training. :rolleyes::sad:

It looks like my plans for my 190 mile ride will have to wait until next year at the earliest as well.

Pooh! :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
magnatom said:
:smile:

I don't think I'm going to be able to take part in this.

My cycling plans this year are going to pot unfortunately. Whilst I am doing more cycling on my commute (20-23 miles a day), I'm not managing any time out on the bike for training. Unfortunately, our 2 boys and out new little girl (wonderful as they are of course!) are keeping me way too busy, and I have yet to find time to get out on the bike to train. :sad:

I am very disappointed but I don't think doing the Etape would be a good idea without any or little training. :sad::sad:

It looks like my plans for my 190 mile ride will have to wait until next year at the earliest as well.

Pooh! :sad:
Agree with HLaB - you'll be fine - as long as you can get there ! You've already got your accommodation booked, your entry paid ... all that is left to do is turn up and enjoy the ride :smile:. ;) It's really not that hard and you've got enough commuting miles in yer legs. Besides, think how proud the whole family will be :biggrin:

.. and I'll really appreciate some company at the back of the pack :smile: !

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Stick with it Magnatom, On your commute try a few intervals or reroute slightly to pickup the odd hill and you'll be fine - these are the times that make commitment to cycling difficult as you don't want to miss out on the wee ones growing up but you do need to keep a little back for yourself just to balance things out.

Maybe you're right guys. It just got a bit fed up this week as I've been off work (holidays) and even then have found it difficult to find the time to get out on the bike. I should point out here it isn't Mrs Magnatom putting her foot down, in fact she keeps encouraging me to go out, it's just finding the time that is difficult.

We're just in the unfortunate situation of not having many babysitters available who can look after three kids and breast feed one of them! :biggrin::smile:

HlaB, remember you were starting at a much higher level of fitness than me!

kfinlay, my longer route does have a few more hills on it, however, nothing like a Crow Road or Tak Ma Doon.

Scoosh, I might be slower due to lack of training, but not THAT slow....;):smile:

Top Bottom