Etape Caledonia has sold out!

Will you be in Pitlochry on the 16th of May

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Noodley may be organising a wee pre-etape ride of the course in April. Even if he isn;t I'm planning to ride it that month so I don't get any surprises on the day.

kfinlay said:
Noodley may be organising a wee pre-etape ride of the course in April. Even if he isn;t I'm planning to ride it that month so I don't get any surprises on the day.

I would be up for that as well. Keep me posted please

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
kfinlay said:
Noodley may be is organising a wee pre-etape ride of some/most of the course in April. Even if he isn;t I'm planning to ride it that month so I don't get any surprises on the day.
Couple of wee ammendments there :wacko:

LynnA

If there are any big surprises, please let me know!! Being down here in the south my first time to see the course will be the Saturday before the event.

A proposed training schedule for the event arrived last week - I'm not sure how I'm going to fit it in. I leave for work at 5am and arrive home at 8pm. I think all social activities for the next 13 weeks are cancelled!

viniga

Guru
LynnA said:
If there are any big surprises, please let me know!! Being down here in the south my first time to see the course will be the Saturday before the event.

Here's my Summary of the course. I'll split it into 5 stages:

1. To Queens View
2. Round the Lochs to Schiehallion
3. Climb and Descent of Schiehallion
4. To Logirait with a Surprise
5. The Final Push to Pitlochry

1. To Queens View

Slowy rising at first until you turn West. At this point the roads narrow a little and wind and roll but gradullay rise overall. There is one tricky fast hairpin descent - after the sharp bend at the bottom you go straight back up. Hold your line in a group and control your speed into the descent, easy on the brakes at the bottom and get into the right gear for the climb after the bend. The climb to Queens view is the first steep ascent of the day.

2. Round the Lochs to Schiehallion

The prevailing wind is from the West and as you start to descend back down to loch level you get less protection from it. This Westward stretch really benefits from working in a group (or wheelsucking). Only one steeply descending hairpin to watch out for - same advice as above. Remember you can shout your intentions... "Passing on Right!" etc. a timely warning helps avoid problems. Once you turn round the end of loch Rannoch the wind should be at your back, Schiehallion is ahead and the stretch to the foot of the fairy hill is flat and fast. (NB last year the wind came from the East!)

3. Climb and Descent of Schiehallion

First thing - it's not that bad! There are loads of sportive events out there with much much nastier hills. Couple of steep bits which might get you out the saddle depending on your gearing. Keep a steady rythm and keep going - enjoy the scenery. The descent is fun and fast - remember the roads are closed, you can use the full width.

4. To Logirait with a Surprise

At the bottom you turn West again into the wind howling down Glen Lyon. But remember it will soon be at your back. Hop on a chaingang if you can. Note that the road on this stretch is at it's narrowest. When you turn East again you will speed up especially when you join the A827. A fast flat and wide road with the wind at your back. The road narrows again after Aberfeldy until you rejoin the A827 and approach Logierait. Surprise!!!! :tongue: a somewhat hidden (esp if in a group) sharp left turn North to Pitlochry catches loads out. The road narrows and rises sharp and steep. You make the turn but you're in the big chain ring and have 70 miles in your legs... bugger.

Now's the time to make your attack. Rising rolling terrain sometimes steep, drop those pals you made (wheelsucked) along the way and push forward. Once over this hump it's a fast descent into Pitlochry and then once under the railway bridge time to start your sprint for the line. The world will be watching and screaming your name as you raise your arms clench your fists and... wake up :biggrin:

Viniga

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Excellent summary, Viniga, even though I've not done the Etape yet, I've ridden round all the bits of the route (at different times, of course :smile:) and that looks like a very good plan of action.

Didn't know you are such a racer, though :eek:. Makes me feel much better about the Ken Laidlaw ;) !

LynnA - I have no idea about your cycling talents but there will be loads of us who are not racing to set a great time but are there to do it and to enjoy it :biggrin:.

You are very welcome to join the 'caravan' at the middle/back :hugs:.

LynnA

Viniga, thank you very much :laugh: I have downloaded the map so I will look at it this evening whilst reading your descriptions.

Scoosh - my cycling is not the greatest (yet!!) - I do a 10 mile round trip commute to the station every day and have just recently added a couple of spin classes a week. I have done the odd 20 mile trip, but that's about it. I should add that I power walk and have completed six marathons so I'm not unfit, just saddle weary :biggrin:

My training plan started yesterday with 16km on the turbo trainer and I will get out as much as I can during the weekend. However, it is more difficult during the working week as we leave for work at 5am and arrive back around 8pm (the joys of the London commute!).

I would certainly love to join the "caravan", so if you don't mind me joining the tail-end, making the most of the slip stream :smile: I'll see you there!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
LynnA, I would also recommend that you do at least one ride of over 50km as soon as you can, then do an 80km. If you can do 80km on your own/in a small group, you'll have nae bother with 80miles on the day.

There is a certain mindset which says "but 50k/80k is such a long way" ... well it might be from where you are now but until you try it, you'll never know. If you can do marathon runs, cycling 80 miles will be a doddle ... provided you get comfy on your bike. It is well worth taking time with your LBS to get a proper bike fit and a saddle that is going to be comfortable for the distance.

How to get that saddle ? Well, now there's a question ! :smile: Just do a search for 'saddle' on here and try to count the threads/posts :biggrin:

LynnA

My plan is to do between a 50 and 75 mile ride on the three weekends leading up to the Etape - on top of the 15 - 25 miles every other day during the week.

I have a couple of week's holiday to take before the end of April so I may schedule a few days during the week when I can go out and get the wind in my hair!

viniga

Guru
scoosh said:
Didn't know you are such a racer, though :eek:. Makes me feel much better about the Ken Laidlaw :smile: !.

Not really a racer but I can get a bit competitive when there are other riders about. I stayed in Pitlochry a few years back for a long w/e. Didn't know the Etape was on. I was overweight and unfit. The spectacle of all those riders at the start really inspired me. My first goal was to complete that distance and do the Sportive - now I have a time to beat. It's also the only event I'll get to do this year as I'll be a Dad shortly after so I'm going to give it all I've got.

LynneA - you will surprise yourself with what you can achieve. When I was training for this distance at first I added about 10% distance on to my weekend run every week until I hit 80 odd miles. That was MORE than enough to make sure I could finish - I got a good time - and it certainly tested my saddle comfort. Scoosh speaks wisely - a run of 80km before May will stand you in very good stead. Go for it.

Viniga

OP
OP
adscrim

adscrim

Veteran
viniga said:

Now's the time to make your attack. Rising rolling terrain sometimes steep

Viniga, that summary is spot on. I'd add one more thing to the final section. Due to the rolling nature of this last few miles, I passed a large number of people on the hills here. The temptation is to freewheel the decents and give yourself a breather. However the ascents are short enough to sprint up if you can muster some effort on the way down. Just think of it as saving yourself energy on the way up rather than expending unnecessarily on the way down.

r0bbti

My primary aim is to finish, but I would like to do that before the roads open again. What time would I have to do to beat the traffic?
Great summary Viniga, thanks - and congrats on impending fatherhood - although I was sure from your name you were female!

viniga

Guru
r0bbti said:
My primary aim is to finish, but I would like to do that before the roads open again. What time would I have to do to beat the traffic?
Great summary Viniga, thanks - and congrats on impending fatherhood - although I was sure from your name you were female!

You need to do it in about 6 hours. Minimum avg speed is 13mph. See their FAQs section. Given the amount of miles you are doing at over 14mph average on My Cycle you should be fine.

My manboobs have shrunk somewhat so hopefully I am no longer taken as a girl when I wear lycra ;)

V

Top Bottom