Etape Caledonia has sold out!

Will you be in Pitlochry on the 16th of May

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
As long as your used to regularly doin some hills then you should be fine mate,

Also if you have both boys and girls, man up and get the snip so you'll have more time as they grow up :smile:

OP
OP
adscrim

adscrim

Veteran
magnatom said:
kfinlay, my longer route does have a few more hills on it, however, nothing like a Crow Road or Tak Ma Doon.

There is a lot made of 'the climb' in the etape but it's not all that scary. Although the total length is about 6 miles and it's steep at parts, there are not many periods of sustained climbing - within the 6 miles there is a long undulating section in the middle (about 2 miles) that offers plenty opportunity of recovery. There's also a feed stop at the top and then you're downhill for the next 5 followed by another long flat section.

I would say, having finished a ton last year, and still cycling to work, you'll be fine. Plus, there's still 9 weeks to go!

Seamab

I'd agree with Adscrim. There's a wee steepish section at the very start of the climb - once your'e up that the rest can be done in the big ring.

Once the clocks go forward Magnatom you could add the Crow Rd to your commute once a week (seeing as you live close by). It's a lot harder than anything the Etape Caly has got to offer. Having had 3 kids myself i can (almost) remember how difficult it is to find time for yourself. I never cycled back then. Wish i had though. With the commute your'e still getting in more miles than most per week.

Actually the worst bit is the steep section coming back into Pitlochry at approx 70m. After the long flat Tay stretch it comes as a bit of a shock to the system.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
should find out what it's like on Noodleys Recce ride on 11 April but I'm doing harder hills just now so not worried.
The only thing I need to sort out is to ride further than 55 miles in one day and get a saddle that doesn't give me sore bum bones (the search goes on!) I did here about the wee steep hill near the end from Scoosh so will keep some energy (I hope) for attack mode :smile:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
kfinlay said:
should find out what it's like on Noodleys Recce ride on 11 April but I'm doing harder hills just now so not worried.
The only thing I need to sort out is to ride further than 55 miles in one day and get a saddle that doesn't give me sore bum bones (the search goes on!) I did here about the wee steep hill near the end from Scoosh so will keep some energy (I hope) for attack mode :smile:
Have you considered the CC Saddle Library ?

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
cheers scoosh I'd forgotten about that as I remember you and Satans Budgie telling me about it at Heavens Scent back in November. Think Major Mantra is near me and had considered a Selle Italia Flite.

Thanks for the comments guys. Your probably right. It's not that I didn't think I could complete it, it's just I'd like to do it some justice. I've got a busy week this week, but after that, I'll be getting the turbo trainer out and putting my garage to good use. SurelyI can find an hour here or there! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom