Etiquette shown to guests in one's home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I always offer tea or coffee to visitors, at home or at work. I don't think that's necessarily something that's in danger of dying out.

It amazes me (with all the over the top politeness) that Americans don't do this though... when I first visited my new head office in Atlanta I went in at 8am and waited for someone to offer a brew... at mid day, I gave up and had to ask where i could get one, and I was directed to the nearest Starbucks. I told them how in Europe we would automatically offer a drink to a visitor.. they said that in the US, if you wanted to drink coffee in work you brought a Starbucks with you.

To get to my back door you would have to walk round two unlit muddy paths round the back of half the street and then scale the jungle that's supposed to be my back garden, so everyone comes through the front door.

It's still strange though as the only things that ever enter through the front door of the house I grew up in house are letters. In fact my dad had a wooden planter across in front of it for a while.
Similar here, any visitor wishing to enter my back door would have to scale the side extension first. As for tea everyone gets offered a cup friends, family,workmen, meter readers...actually not meter readers!

pplpilot

Guru
Everyone who enters our house gets offered tea/coffee or a cold drink. The opposite can be said for the in-laws and it really irks me. Last Christmas day we were invited over for the afternoon, we sat there for nearly 4 hours and not once were we offered a drink. Me and Mrs pplpilot had agreed beforehand not to ask and see how long, if at all, it would take.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
How do you greet guests and visitors when they come to your home? My grumble is that whenever i call round at someone's home these days i have to prompt them to offer me refreshments. Once of a day it was polite to offer a guest a cup of tea or a cup of coffee,even a sandwich if the guest had travelled a fair distance. Nowadays refreshments aren't offered,well in my case anyway. For example,i went round to a friend's the other day. There i was for half an hour at least,waiting to be offered a cup of tea. No offer came. So i decided to prompt her by asking if i could have a cup of tea. She seemed a little surprised,so i asked if she thought i was being cheeky in asking for a cup of tea. No she replied,but i'm surprised as i've never been asked by a visitor if they could have a cup of tea before. Well maybe you should offer them one to save them the embarrassment of having to ask,especially if they've cycled here and need the refreshment more than others,i replied.Whenever someone calls at my place i offer them a cup of tea or coffee,usually about 5 minutes after they've arrived,giving them time to settle and take their coat off etc. No one wants to have a cup of te thrust in their face before they've hardly walked through the door,but on the other hand they shouldn't have to wait ages to be offered one or even worse,not offered one at all. Not only do i offer tea or coffee,i also offer them food if they hint that they haven't eaten for a while. This offer would be one of something simple like a slice of toast or a piece of cake,but the offer is there and i think i'm being polite in doing so.One story springs to mind whenever i think about this. A friend of mine was about to have a visit from bailiffs who had come to take away his car as he hadn't kept up on the payments. There they were all mob handed,ready for a confrontation when my friend asked them politely if they'd like a cup of tea. The heavies seemed surprised as they were normally greeted by abuse and threats of violence. Not only did he offer them tea but he told me that he also offered them the angel cake he'd bought in thinking/knowing that it would calm the situation. It worked,according to him. Ok the car was still repossessed but it was done in a polite and gentlemanly way,without violence and bad feelings. He said the bailiffs thanked him for his hospitality and even advised him how to go about getting his car back.
The question is,do you offer refreshments to guests or visitors to your home and what are those refreshments?
Depends on the occasion, drinks offered if they're just popping around. Cake, biscuits etc offered if they're staying for longer.

screenman

Legendary Member
What is that thing you hit a golf ball off of?

Last week the guys servicing the garage dorr were her 2 and a half hours, they had two cups of coffee, the first served with biscuits and then second with a large helping of fresh apple pie.

When we built this house every delivery driver got a drink and if they timed it right a breakfast sandwich, the builder a drink every hour, brekkie sandwich in the morning and homemade cake every afternoon. Despite this we went from nothing to moving in fully decorated etc in 20 weeks.

arch684

Veteran
When I used to do work in peoples houses and didn't get offered a cup of tea, I'd start whistling 'Polly put the kettle on', they soon got the hint.
I would ask if there kettle was broken or if they had a power cut,usually did the trick

Reactions: GM

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I always, always, offer tea or coffee and something to eat.
It stems from my childhood, visiting my (many) relatives in Ireland.
In true Mrs Doyle fashion, it was impossible to refuse a cup of tea and a ham sandwich :smile:

tumblr_mtzsut0tAO1sjwg5lo1_500.gif

Top Bottom