Etiquette shown to guests in one's home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I always, always, offer tea or coffee and something to eat.
It stems from my childhood, visiting my (many) relatives in Ireland.
In true Mrs Doyle fashion, it was impossible to refuse a cup of tea and a ham sandwich :smile:

View attachment 379673
I thought you were going to tell us that Miss Goodbody likes to offer guests something wet and warm.:okay:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I thought you were going to tell us that Miss Goodbody likes to offer guests something wet and warm.:okay:
Oh, she does! And she loves a Sponge Finger!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Open invite to you and Mr Reg!
*hides Aldi gin*

@TheDoctor

Damn fine gin that and at a bargain price - I think it came second in some posh newspaper's review.

I might have got he last bit slightly wrong but something along those lines which is why we went a bought some in the first place.

On top': tea/coffee/whatever for everyone who visits us. Rude not to imo.

Tradesmen/women we also make sandwiches etc if they want them. Alternatively if we are out all day we offer them to use whatever is in the kitchen and make/eat whatever they want.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We've had two completely separate teams of Eastern Europeans at different times, one Hungarian and one Bulgarian, and in both cases they explicitly turned down all offers of refreshments, and indeed seemed to take no sustenance at all - or breaks for that matter. They turn up, work all day, then leave. Period.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I always off a cup of tea. To anyone who comes around, friends, neighbours, when the people came to fit new radiators etc. If it's late afternoon or evening, I might offer a beer as an alternative.
I felt a bit awkward yesterday when a neighbour came round and I offered a cuppa. She said yes, but when I was getting the milk out of the fridge, she said "I'd rather have some of that wine in your fridge". I gave her some but she motioned for me to fill the glass right up. I was kind of saving it for later and told her this.
On her way out, she asked if she could 'take' - that's the word she used - that bottle of red in my cupboard :ohmy: Bit of a cheek. Told her it wasn't mine but BFs. She said that he wouldn't mind. I said that he bloody would. It's a very nice bottle of red and it's mine. Not much change from £40 for that and it's being saved for a special occasion. It's been in the cupboard a goodly while and it was a gift.
She was a bit frosty with me this morning.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I always off a cup of tea. To anyone who comes around, friends, neighbours, when the people came to fit new radiators etc. If it's late afternoon or evening, I might offer a beer as an alternative.
I felt a bit awkward yesterday when a neighbour came round and I offered a cuppa. She said yes, but when I was getting the milk out of the fridge, she said "I'd rather have some of that wine in your fridge". I gave her some but she motioned for me to fill the glass right up. I was kind of saving it for later and told her this.
On her way out, she asked if she could 'take' - that's the word she used - that bottle of red in my cupboard :ohmy: Bit of a cheek. Told her it wasn't mine but BFs. She said that he wouldn't mind. I said that he bloody would. It's a very nice bottle of red and it's mine. Not much change from £40 for that and it's being saved for a special occasion. It's been in the cupboard a goodly while and it was a gift.
Gordon Bennett!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

:eek::eek::eek:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Whether I offer a visitor refreshments or not is down to how anxious I am to get rid of them. Trades-people working here, and friends, are always offered tea at least.

I wouldn't dream of demanding food or drink as a visitor in someone else's home.

MikeG

Guru

In your shoes I don't think I'd have explained it, as you did. When she asked for my bottle of wine I think I would have just laughed, and guided my "friend" gently to the door......."You MUST come again soon......"

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The traditional and friendly way to say "hello" in China if you bump into them or they come to your house is to say "have you eaten?" I always thought that very civilised

Upon reading the writings of touring cyclists, a recurring theme emerges where western travellers are often astounded by the hospitality in eastern societies.

It's not uncommon for a family to voluntary give their evening meal to visitors and go sleep semi hungry themselves.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
In our home everyone is given tea and biscuits if autumn/winter and or fruit and soft drink if summer.

If the visitors arrive late afternoon / early evening or have travelled from afar (say 2 hours drive) they eat the evening meal with us. Often they will decline the latter as they don't want to be burdensome, but you're expected to make the provisions.

Top Bottom