Evaporated milk as a protein recovery drink?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Anybody tried this? Milk is a great natural protein and as I understand, whey protein is the protein taken out of milk, but it's pricey. So if evaporated milk is simply concentrated milk, wouldn't it make a cheap and easily available recovery drink?

We had a huge carton of convalescent drinks when my sick MIL was staying and they looked and tasted exactly like evaporated milk with a slightly metallic taste, which I think was added minerals.

What does the panel think?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The average serving of a whey protein is cheaper than a tin of evaporated milk,around 30p

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yebbut I like the taste of evaporated milk.

Because I'm lazy, can you tell me where you buy whey protein and how you worked out that price? On Myprotein it looks horribly expensive.

Evaporated Milk the process involves the evaporation of 60% of the water from the milk, followed by homogenization, canning, and heat-sterilization which would seem counter-intuitive when looking to recover from a period of prolonged exercise. However given N=1 , if it works for you rock on tommy!!!!

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Holland and Barrett, http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...0wodlW4DUg&so=sort_topseller&totalNumRecs=198

Another good source,
Ricotta cheese contains the most whey of any whole food because it is made from whey protein. During the cheese-making process, the curds separate from the whey. For years whey protein was a waste product of this process and was simply thrown away. The main difference between ricotta cheese and whey protein powder is that the protein powder manufacturing process removes the fats and sugars. If you use ricotta cheese as a dietary source of whey protein, choose the low-fat or part-skim variations to avoid high saturated fats. One cup of ricotta cheese provides 28g of protein.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Agree that milk alone is enough, but if you have a ready source of evaporated milk that will probably work as a protein source too. Whilst the proteins will be a little more denatured due to the canning process they're still there along with the natural minerals. How the denaturing affects overall bioavailability I don't know.

I love evaporated milk too!

IIRC Recent research on the tellybox indicated that taking protein supplements after exercise had no discernible effect on recovery.

lesley_x

Über Member
So much easier and tastier just to get protein from whole foods. Greek yoghurt or Skyr yoghurt is pretty low calorie high protein (roughly 15g protein 110 calories a serving) Tastier than any protein shake I've ever had.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've tried the SIS whey protein sachets (they were down to 20p in Sainsbury's instead of the supposed £1.99). Personally I found them xx( - it was like trying to drink gone-off milk.

Evaporated milk should do something similar anyway.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Have you tried creatine? I've read that it makes you thirsty and I'm reluctant to go even that far down the supplements route. I also have a strong suspicion that it's actually a massive rip-off, in common with all these sports supplements.
Up until the age of forty I weight trained three to four times a week and would run four miles twice a week, The only supplements I used were creatine and whey protein other than that just a healthy diet. The body prduces creatine naturally , . Creatine itself can be phosphorylated by creatine kinase to form phosphocreatine, which is used as an energy reserve in skeletal muscles and the brain.
Creatine is the one supplement that does actually work to feed the muscles as you exercise.
I've never heard of creatine making you thirsty, first I've heard of that.
All the info is available here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine

Last edited:
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks. I've read that and I'm unconvinced that creatine is worth the money. I think I'd do better just to drink more milk; my problem is that I find milk harder to tolerate now as I've just passed the 60 mark; a pint gives me painful stomach cramps, hence my interest in evaporated milk - or would that just produce the same effect from a smaller volume of liquid?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks. I've read that and I'm unconvinced that creatine is worth the money. I think I'd do better just to drink more milk; my problem is that I find milk harder to tolerate now as I've just passed the 60 mark; a pint gives me painful stomach cramps, hence my interest in evaporated milk - or would that just produce the same effect from a smaller volume of liquid?
Try it?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yebbut I like the taste of evaporated milk.

Because I'm lazy, can you tell me where you buy whey protein and how you worked out that price? On Myprotein it looks horribly expensive.
Myprotein. Divide cost of a 2.5kg bag by 100 25g servings.

It's a lot less than 100 tins of evaporated milk

Top Bottom