'Fessing up an accident to your other half

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've just done some ice-skating on my way to work here.

I was on the good bike so, following the standard procedure, was only really concerned with it's well-being. Luckily there's only very minor cosmetic damage to one of the brake levers. I've now got to work and found that my left hip could do with some more skin. The injuries are a repeat, albeit less serious, than an off I had in the summer. This left me with some muscle damage that has been very slow to heal.

The good Mrs Dr Bollo is going to tear me a new one for (a) going out in icy conditions (b) taking the good bike, (c) crashing it and (d) reknacking my already battered hip.

So advice please. How do I present the facts of the case without her going ballistic?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
sorry to hear that. Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as the time before.

Me too this morning. Mixture of cold temps and spilt diesel had me kissing the tarmac. Nice hamburger patty of my left hip and and some nice scrapes on my knee.

I don't like telling Mrs Ian about these bangs and scrapes. But I will.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'd blame global warming - it seems to be kopping a lot of flak at the moment. Otherwise: lie.

I get the odd bump and scrape from cycling. Had a nasty off last year with stitches and muscle damage.

My lovely wife is much rather I am out, happy and keeping fit rather than being at risk of all sorts of health conditions when I am older.

And, again, honesty with the one you love is the most basic of untouchable rules.

Jody

Stubborn git
So advice please. How do I present the facts of the case without her going ballistic?

Tell her it is what it is. You won't stop doing what you love irrelevant of potential harm. My other half doesn't like some of the things we do on a bike but life is for living.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Honesty is one thing but creating unjustified concern is another.
Best to keep quiet, it's not lying, just not passing on information that will be taken out of context and will cause undue concern.

you will have forgotten about it in a month, your other half won't.

Honesty is one thing but creating unjustified concern is another.
Best to keep quiet, it's not lying, just not passing on information that will be taken out of context and will cause undue concern.

you will have forgotten about it in a month, your other half won't.
Ah, the poor old wife who can't understand anything and get it all wrong. Yep, don't fret her with what happened, her tiny brain will be full of bunnies crying.

martinclive

Über Member
GWS

I'm just grumpy and spend hours moaning about the traffic every time I commute other than on the bike .

This is in the hope that if / when I have a bad off I don't get too much pressure to pack up.................but I suspect it may not work!

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
sorry to hear that. Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as the time before.

Me too this morning. Mixture of cold temps and spilt diesel had me kissing the tarmac. Nice hamburger patty of my left hip and and some nice scrapes on my knee.

I don't like telling Mrs Ian about these bangs and scrapes. But I will.
Sympathies you you too.

Putting the standard forum banter aside, I'd not dream of keeping it a secret even if that were possible - I've more respect for her than that. It's understandable that non-cycling partners worry, even though the perceived risks are greater than the reality, but getting into an argument about accident statistics when you're pealing the morning's sheets off your hip isn't going to help the relationship much.

martint235

Dog on a bike
"Honey, you know the doctor said I shouldn't cycle for a few weeks after I broke my ribs in that crash last week? Well I commuted in today and I hit a pedestrian. I think I've cracked a couple of ribs on the other side now" went the phone call.

Top Bottom