'Fessing up an accident to your other half

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
GWS @Bollo and @ianrauk!
I don't see how you cannot tell, she's gonna see your scraped hip.
Just say you'll be more careful ... and of course that you will need to get ice tyres and a new bike to go with them ^_^

Tell her you were bounced off a speeding skip wagon onto the kerb, narrowly avoided a toddler and a puppy but couldn't get round the bin.

subaqua

What’s the point
just be honest. why lie about hurting yourself.

save that for how much you spent on new brake levers ...................

I had a 6.0 6.0 6.0 from the judges this morning for my fancy dancing on the bike. stayed upright though but my fight or flight left me utterly creamed at 10am

Tin Pot

Guru
1280x720-TEl.jpg

(The politician from Little Britain)

Last edited:

Ciar

Veteran
I find it's best to up front and honest as it's done and dusted then, the wife usually pulls the panic face then realises i am still in one piece!

tbh though as i do ride MTB and like the soft caress of trees and being shredded by brambles the wife has seem much worse and i think luckily for me accepts it's all part and parcel, fully appreciate roads are different and i did have an off last year around this time when commuting ;-)

Well thank goodness it's only men who cycle and our dainty wives all sit at home avoiding anything that involves risk.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well thank goodness it's only men who cycle and our dainty wives all sit at home avoiding anything that involves risk.
Blimey mark you seem to be reading a whole load more into this than I think anyone is suggesting.

I don't believe anyone is suggesting patronising their loved ones, I'm certainly not but at the end of the day a small issue, that causes me no long term damage or concern isn't worth worrying my loved ones. In the only incident I have ever had, it was my own stupidity that caused it and the lesson was learnt.

No harm, no foul

If I told my wife about every fear or issue I had, I suspect it would bore her to tears, especially if the issue is solved the next moment and becomes a non event.

Clearly larger issues need to be shared and will benefit from doing so but the OP seems to have gotten over this with a grazed hip.

I think your tone...or perhaps suggestion, that I am treating my wife as the little lady is quite insulting.if you had met my wife, you wouldn't be so quick to take that position.

Sorry to read about all those that have recently come off their bikes and it makes me realise how fortunate I am too be retired as I don't need to use my bike until the roads have thawed out. Mind you this weeks been bad as I have had to replace some fence panels so cycling as been out of the question.
As for telling my wife if I did prang my bike, what an opportunity that would be ! .
I would put on my saddest face and explain that it was no way my fault and just how badly I had hurt myself.
I would then point to the damage done and say its going to cost a fortune to repair it, I am sure you can see where I am heading, and that it would be cheaper to replace the bike.
" Look at that I would say even the back wheel could slip out of that slot " now.
How fortunate am I in having a wife with no interest in cycling ! .

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
No advice but I want to know a) if you got it on camera, so we can watch it and b) How Mrs Bollo reacts. And if you could get that on camera that'd be really entertaining.

:popcorn:
No record of the crash unfortunately, but I have PMed you a photo of my scabby hip. Not sure what that hairy thing in the background is though? You're welcome.

I know where you live. I've probably even got her mobile number on a parents' list from the school. Shall I text her for you?
My old dad said never trust a triathlete. Testify father, testify!

Anyways, confession confessed. I was doing quite well until she saw the damage. If it had been a one-off or even a different injury then I might have gotten away with a light judgement, but inflicting the same damage twice in six months received a full tutting. All in all though, very minor damage to both me and bike.

Take care of yourselves all, and give your other halves a hug.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I don't see how you cannot tell, she's gonna see your scraped hip.
Depends how long you've been together. After 24 years together I reckon I could go a good few weeks without Mrs Soltydog seeing any missing skin :laugh: (unless it was visible when dressed & even then I'm not sure how soon she'd notice :okay:)
Hope you guys recover well & quickly

Top Bottom