'Fessing up an accident to your other half

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well thank goodness it's only men who cycle and our dainty wives all sit at home avoiding anything that involves risk.
That was one thought going through my mind. My wife cycles and her commute is nastier than most of my routes, so she's well aware of what goes on, that if I crash badly, it's unlikely to be self-inflicted, but just how rare cycle crashes are.

Second thought was related to that rarity: you do sound rather crashy on here compared to me. I think my last injurious off is now over twenty years ago. Since then my crashes have been trivial and mostly silly (I've run myself over at least three times :blush:). Is it because you're all much faster than me and my roadsters?

Ian193

Über Member
Last time I crashed I did more damage to the bike than myself scraped brake lever and ripped the bar tape wouldn't normally have bothered me too much but the bike was only 3 weeks old

fimm

Veteran
These things do sometimes come in patches - my O/H went around for a few weeks with near-identical damage on both hips - one side from an off on some ice and the other from an off caused by diesel.
I used to think that he didn't worry about me because it isn't his nature to worry - and then one day I was late for some reason and didn't let him know and he was worried! So now I let him know if I'm running late.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
It's not a question of wanting to lie to a partner (in my case my husband), it's just wanting to prevent them from worrying over something they can't really change.
My wife would see it as a lie by omission, if I have an accident she wants to know so she can help or just offer sympathy and she would not be happy if I hadnt said. Hiding it IMO only seems to justify that there is something to worry about, which there isnt, we learn from our slip ups.

Levo-Lon

Guru
To be honest the last person i want to know is the wife..headless chicken mode..she doesn't do sympathy either..

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My wife would see it as a lie by omission, if I have an accident she wants to know so she can help or just offer sympathy and she would not be happy if I hadnt said. Hiding it IMO only seems to justify that there is something to worry about, which there isnt, we learn from our slip ups.
I'm not going to say nothing ... just try to play it down a little, to protect them from the worst of the worry. As it is I suspect tomorrow morning I will be offered a lift to save me part of my journey ... His way of trying to help/keep me safe!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just tell Mrs Bollo that you have been having sex with a collegue at work and the abrasions are carpet burns.

But whatever you do, dont mention bikes and you will be OK.

Trust me.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels guilty after augering in! It is a difficult balance. Mrs Dr B knows that cycling sorts me out in so many ways, both physically and mentally, but at the same time it's not without a little risk. I'm reasonably matter of fact about physical injury but seeing the look on her face when I show her the damage makes me feel like an utter shoot.

Just tell Mrs Bollo that you have been having sex with a collegue at work and the abrasions are carpet burns.

Unless the carpet is made of gravel or I'm forming the beast with two backs with an AA man on the A303, this excuse won't fly.

Bit surprised that noone's focused (in 4 pages) on how you'll need to pitch the need for new brake levers, now they've suffered, albeit cosmetically.
Dura Ace Di-2 jobs, which turn out not to be cheap. Like I said, it's the good bike. I'll live with the scratches.

Top Bottom