First Big Ride - County Durham to The Lakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jazz

Regular
Hello everyone! Hope you're all well.

I am planning a journey some time in February/March providing weather conditions permit. This journey will be as the title says, from Durham to somewhere in the Lakes.

Basically I will be riding with my brother and a few mates, a team of around 5. We're wanting to ride there and back so may stop a day or two to rest. Can anyone advise me on the essentials for the trip?

I'm thinking:

Typical bike repair/maintenance kit from bike shop
Inner tube
Allen Keys
Torches
Batteries for the lights
Decent Lights
Power bars (or some high carb and low sugar foods)
waterproofs.

I've done 100 miles so far, I have the helmet and gloves etc. - I don't have any cycle clothing just yet, waiting for a sale somewhere cos I'm tight ;-)

Can anyone give me advice on the kit to take, the clothing to wear and the roads to travel on?

The trip will contribute greatly to my 1k goal :biggrin:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You could adapt the C2C route which passes through County Durham and the Lakes:

http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/the-route/

What sort of bike are you using?

Some of the C2C route over the Pennines is on tracks which are not suitable for a narrow-tyred road bike.

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Hi, cheers for the reply. I'm using my Specialized Tricross for the trip - it's all I have. I'll have a look at the C2C route cheers - there must be a road-only route surely!

Thanks again!

albion

Guru
The Rookhope C2C off-road section ain't even suited for winter.
I'd say Ulswater is the usual lake destination. My low traffic route would be something like Crook, Witton-le-wear, Eggleston, Brough route to maybe then join route 67.
February is usually the worst month and I've cycled through freezing rain and snow in May thatta way.

I'd certainly suggest carrying a flask of hot sweet black coffee as back up.

Shame you can't do it during the heatwave we are getting next week..

I think you need to decide on your destination first and then plan your route. There are quite a few options, depending on how much climbing you want and the types of road you want to use. It would also help to know your starting point.
You will certainly need warm clothing ( layers) and good wind/waterproofs. You will be on some of the highest roads in the Pennines and very exposed to the elements.

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Hi again, sorry I meant to say where I was setting off from, that would be Chilton/Ferryhill. I'm thinking maybe head to Kendal... We don't need to go to the actual Lakes (If you know what I mean). We just want a decent trip out on the bikes and stop - a couple of the lads are on about camping but I don't fancy that haha!!

Hi again, sorry I meant to say where I was setting off from, that would be Chilton/Ferryhill. I'm thinking maybe head to Kendal... We don't need to go to the actual Lakes (If you know what I mean). We just want a decent trip out on the bikes and stop - a couple of the lads are on about camping but I don't fancy that haha!!

One option here:
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx#save

only 65 miles and moderate amount of climbing.

Or you could always follow the W2W route between Durham and Kendal. I have'nt done it myself but i believe its mostly road.

http://cyclingw2w.info/

For some reason my first link doesn't seem to have worked. But you can use bike toaster or others to plan your route.

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Sorry for the late reply! Well we are doing W2W and it's happening in August, the minibus & trailer is booked up :-)
Well I say W2W, it's more W2Home :tongue: gonna try it in two days like!
I've just bought a few extra bits & bobs for my cycle, just gonna look at nutrition for training as well as for on the go. If you have any tips or pointers please do shout up :biggrin:

Thanks for the route toaster thing, I did have a look at it when you first posted it, so it wasn't wasted!!

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Hi everyone!

Right, I'm not the leader in this ride, but the lad who's organising our group has done it before, he's done C2C in a day, he's really experienced and knows the route well so we're safe as far as that goes.
We start at Walney Island around 10am and then get to Oxenholme, have tea and stop the night, then there's the last 87 miles the Saturday morning back home!!!
I've got a saddle bag, with my topeak multitool and a spare inner tube in it, along with pump and what not. I also bought a windproof jacket which despite being thin makes 90% of the difference!! I understand the need for the overshoes just off our 20 mile Sunday runs so I'll be getting some of them, as well as SPD's for my double sided pedals.

Is there anything else anyone can recommend for the long journey? I'm thinking loads of power bars of some sort as well as plenty of energy drink (steering toward the Lucozades rather than the Red Bulls).

I don't want to sound daft but I've not embraced the lycra yet, I know I'll have to so I'm looking at shorts/tights and what not. Can anyone tell me what's best for an August ride? Shorts? Tights? Either with bib on? Do 3/4's look girly on a bloke?

I appreciate the help so far, thanks guys!

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
I haven't done anything like this so can't comment on that side but just on a basic level I would say shorts with leg warmers then you have options. Same goes for armwarmers. Glasses are something I always use whether with sun lenses or clear, just for protection. I am no use on the nutrition side either sorry as I survive on malt loaf, jaffa cakes and cakes when out and about lol. Give me a wave on the start of your journey as I live about 15 mins from Walney. Hope it all goes well and enjoy!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Lucozade and Red Bull are a BAD idea. Both are based on sugars, which will give you a short-term hit but cause you to bonk when they run out. You need an energy drink based on carbohydrates, which last much longer. The basic carb is maltodextrin, which is used as the base for just about every energy drink like SIS as well as masses of things like Cup a Soup, Complan, Build Up and so on. Look for maltodextrin on the label, not sugars like sucrose, glucose etc.

Also porridge for beakfast and wholemeal toast with lots of butter will give you long-term energy.

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Oh no!! My room price included Full English Breakfasts!!!! :tongue:
Ahh right I thought Lucozade was before, during and after sport? I'll have a look for some like. Cheers Globalti.
EbonyWillow I'll give you a wave yeah! That's a good idea - going for shorts but getting legwarmers too! Cheers for the heads up on that

Top Bottom