fitting problem left femur longer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nz6666

Regular
I have been suspecting my left femur longer for a long time. Keep feeling left upper leg cramped easily.
Found this video and had my wife measured it for me yesterday, and she could see clearly my left femur is longer by about 1 cm.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWjLGKl9NpA

Goolged a bit and saw suggestions like shim the short leg or using longer crank for longer leg (left). I now use 170 mm on both so thinking to get a 180 crank arm for the longer leg (left). Has anyone done that? My inseam is 79 cm (30 inch) but left leg maybe actually longer than that. I don't like shimming very much but may use that if all other fails, the reason is I am not using clipless now (used before) and felt it's not very safe here in central London and too many stop and go. I now use half clips, which is basically just a clip without the strap, not as good as clipless but safer and better for commuting.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think @mickle has some experience in cycle adaptations

There's a section of the forum for adaptive cycling which may have some useful info for you

https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/adaptive-cycling.160/

You might want to dial that down by a bit and maybe go with 170 / 175. Since you've had it all your life, presumably, your hips and back will have adapted to the mismatch somewhat. Trying to correct the full 'difference' may be overkill. I have that issue with my arms and I know that a bit of a 'compromise' can be necessary.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You might want to dial that down by a bit and maybe go with 170 / 175. Since you've had it all your life, presumably, your hips and back will have adapted to the mismatch somewhat. Trying to correct the full 'difference' may be overkill. I have that issue with my arms and I know that a bit of a 'compromise' can be necessary.
I have a shorter left leg. It is very obvious if I stand up straight in front of a mirror - my pelvis tilts down significantly from right to left. I used to wear my shorts out on one side because my shorter leg was rubbing on that side of the saddle.

When I used Look pedals, I used to put a shim under the left cleat to compensate. These days I use SPD pedals with recessed cleats. Shimming the left SPD cleat would mean it sticking out from its recess and I don't want that.

I normally ride 175 mm cranks but I cracked the left crank on my Basso. I had an old 170 mm crank in my junk box so I stuck that on as a temporary replacement. I never took it off! I feel more comfortable riding with a shorter crank for the shorter leg.

I still have 175 mm cranks on both sides of my Cannondale and a mate commented recently that when riding behind me he can see that I am not sitting perfectly straight on the bike, but am twisted round slightly. The saddle looks to be pointing directly forwards and the bars are set up properly, so I think I am subconsciously compensating for the difference in leg lengths.

I have a shorter left leg. It is very obvious if I stand up straight in front of a mirror - my pelvis tilts down significantly from right to left. I used to wear my shorts out on one side because my shorter leg was rubbing on that side of the saddle.

When I used Look pedals, I used to put a shim under the left cleat to compensate. These days I use SPD pedals with recessed cleats. Shimming the left SPD cleat would mean it sticking out from its recess and I don't want that.

I normally ride 175 mm cranks but I cracked the left crank on my Basso. I had an old 170 mm crank in my junk box so I stuck that on as a temporary replacement. I never took it off! I feel more comfortable riding with a shorter crank for the shorter leg.

I still have 175 mm cranks on both sides of my Cannondale and a mate commented recently that when riding behind me he can see that I am not sitting perfectly straight on the bike, but am twisted round slightly. The saddle looks to be pointing directly forwards and the bars are set up properly, so I think I am subconsciously compensating for the difference in leg lengths.

Even a small difference in leg lengths can make a big difference to riding styles. I've a 40mm+ difference in arm lengths and it's only a nuisance really.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
If humans were symmetrical, we'd look odd. Try this-in photoshop, take a picture of your face, divide in half, and flip it so you now have a whole face. Definitely looks odd. With arms and legs, adaptation may be necessary, but I'd go about half the distance to make for a better fit. I've figured this out through experience, (170-175). I may also suggest an extra insole in your shoe, a bit easier to get .

Top Bottom