Flat bar Road Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Faratid

P7110003resized.jpg

Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon. My ancient neck can no longer cope with the position on my dropped bar bike, although up to an hour is OK. The geometry of this is different than what you would get by simply changing the bars on my race bike. It's mainly 'stack' & 'reach' to give a more comfortable position. It's a joy to ride, and only a little slower than my 'proper' bike.
I'm surprised there aren't more of these type of bikes available for those who enjoy a fast, lively and challenging ride, but without being a contortionist.
I had the pleasure of riding on a training camp with Brian Robinson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Robinson_(cyclist) at least 17 years ago, and noted his high end flat bar/hybrid bike then. He seemed very happy and we struggled to keep up with him.

AndyRM

XOXO
View attachment 617445

Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon. My ancient neck can no longer cope with the position on my dropped bar bike, although up to an hour is OK. The geometry of this is different than what you would get by simply changing the bars on my race bike. It's mainly 'stack' & 'reach' to give a more comfortable position. It's a joy to ride, and only a little slower than my 'proper' bike.
I'm surprised there aren't more of these type of bikes available for those who enjoy a fast, lively and challenging ride, but without being a contortionist.
I had the pleasure of riding on a training camp with Brian Robinson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Robinson_(cyclist) at least 17 years ago, and noted his high end flat bar/hybrid bike then. He seemed very happy and we struggled to keep up with him.

Love the colour scheme on that, very subtle.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's got flat bars, it's used on the road, it's a bike - it's a flat bar road bike (although I thought those with suspension forks were 'hybrids')

Anyhow, firstly is my Giant Rapid 1 just after it's first test ride, having been converted to a 1x set-up simply by removing the front mech & shifter & fitting a 44T ring)
Giant - Updated March 2021 (1).JPG

And as pictured quite a few time, my Pickenflick based titanium flat bar build
Mill Lane, Needham (1).jpg

Chief Broom

Veteran
All this nomenclature is very confusing for a newbie! :laugh: What people call road bikes i used to call racers, I would call my bike a road bike rather than a hybrid
So here we have a newbies bike with flat bars....well not quite flat as they bend a bit.....on the road..... :laugh:
NB***** this is actually the best bike in the whole world, not many people know that :okay:

Mr Celine

Discordian
As new, January 2006

Last ride, October 2021

This is 100m beyond the end of the tarmac on the road to the Corrieyairack Pass and it wasn't going any further. With 28mm slick tyres on 700c wheels and road gearing this is no hybrid and is not suitable for off tarmac rides.

The bike has now been dismantled and the frame is away being powder coated in a startlingly different colour. Watch this space for an update. ^_^

i disagree.....but thats ok, all opinions and flat bar road bikes welcome.
A road bike is a specific type of bike, characterised by skinny tyres and drop handlebars and designed for road racing. You can 'disagree' all you like but you'd be wrong. Words are important. If you change the meanings of words on a whim language loses its geffeltafish ole biscuit barrel fligetty tish. Spaniel.

Please - can we keep this to pictures of the bikes - rather than a stupid debate on what people think should or shouldnt be classed as flat bar road bikes.....as this is the photo gallery part of the forum.

if your not happy with whats included, then ignore the thread
*You're*

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
A road bike is a specific type of bike, characterised by skinny tyres and drop handlebars and designed for road racing. You can 'disagree' all you like but you'd be wrong. Words are important. If you change the meanings of words on a whim language loses its geffeltafish ole biscuit barrel fligetty tish. Spaniel.
This is as close as I think I can find:

https://www.snowdonbike.co.uk/marginal-gains

Top Bottom