FNRttC FNRttC York-Hull 27 July 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kimble

Veteran
Final ride was a 22 mile time trial. At the halfway stop for today's ride- which was on my way anyway- I realized I had two hours to get to Ouistreham in time for check-in. Made it with 20 minutes to spare...

It's a tradition, or an old charter, or something.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
It's a tradition, or an old charter, or something.

We (or at least me) are sorry we didn't let you know that we were leaving for the ferry a little earlier than originally planned kimble.
I had an injured team leader to look after so my thoughts were elsewhere.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Not too late to sign up, on the website although we could manage only a few more. The weather forecast is spiffing: coolest expected to be 18 degrees, light breeze and dry.
We'll be about 40 on the road with five new faces to welcome. An email has just been sent to those who have signed up on the website for such things, a ride-specific one goes out later today, when I have acquired A Round Tuit.
We are:

Adam C
Adrian C
Adrian M
Aidan O
Alan D
Alan B
Alison C
Andrew Br
Anton
Barry M
Cathy G
Chris H
Conrad C
Dave J
Dennis P-B
Gordon P
Grumpy Greg
Hedley K
Jenny
Jonathan B
Joyce C
Kimble
Lindsay
Marcus
Mark McM
Mmmmartin
Nas
Nick B
Patrick M
Paul A
paul s
Peter H
Peter W
Ruth I
Sonia
StuA

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Mention of the Minster being hard to miss in the email reminded me of 2010, when, er, I managed to miss it, and had an extensive tour around the city walls before I encountered Adam...Never done that since, thankfully!

kimble

Veteran
IIRC the usual way to get that one wrong is to find the minster but to wait on the wrong side of it, oblivious to the blinking mass of cyclists round the corner. I note that @mmmmartin's email was very specific (with italics and everything) on that point, to avoid such mistakes.

kimble

Veteran
However, as one new member said to me after the Brighton ride, just because you send an email doesn't mean people will read it.....
*puts head in hands*:banghead:

Well yes. Probably still worth sending someone round the corner to check just before the off...

Domus

Guru
If I was waiting to join a group of 30+ outside the Minster and found myself alone with only a few minutes to go 'till the off I would have a cycle round the building............To find everyone who was waiting in the wrong place. ^_^

I was once leading a walk and getting ready for the off with about 20 or so others, when my mobile rang, the guy was most insistent that we were all in the wrong carpark, even though I had published the correct grid reference and everyone else had found it.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Not really. It's the same route as last year, and goes through Goole and there is a railway station at Scunthorpe where it's possible to wait for the first train.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not really. It's the same route as last year, and goes through Goole and there is a railway station at Scunthorpe where it's possible to wait for the first train.

Howden is another bail out possibility, and it's on the Hull-York line.

About 25 miles in, so there could be a long wait for a train assuming you'd get there before 3am.

If you get as far as the bridge, Brough station (over the bridge and turn left) is a bit closer than Hull station, although having got that far you might as well complete the ride.

Oh I know the hills. South Ferriby is the awkward one. Also I might be riding back which takes in the long hill out of Hull up to the Weedley transmitters.

The left fork about a quarter of the way up the South Ferriby climb leads to a track beside the estuary and then to the bridge.

It's flat or downhill so removes a significant amount of climbing, but the last hundred metres or so is compacted earth singletrack.

Passable, although I pushed for a bit.

Not really a goer for a large group in the dark, or at any time if it's wet.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
[QUOTE 5254752, member: 10119"]I'll start stockpiling macaroni and coffee....[/QUOTE]
Will the Den open for business?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Were there to be clear skies in York before the ride where's a good spot to watch the lunar eclipse?

In the UK: the partial eclipse will begin at 8:30pm, the total eclipse will occur between 9:20pm BST on Friday, with the moon visible to the south-east, until 10:13pm.

kimble

Veteran
The weather forecast for Friday night is beginning to look dreadful. Are there any bail-out possibilities along the new route?

Not only a lack of bail-out possibilities, but also a distinct absence of any kind of shelter for much of the route. This ride's all about the sky, and if it rains all night it's likely to involve some Type 2 Fun - particularly if there's much in the way of hanging around.

I'm re-considering my plan of bringing the fast bike and riding back to York, in favour of the tourer with its sturdy tyres and less exposed riding position. If it's going to be properly Mancunian, I may step up to bringing Ortliebs and a full change of clothes.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
if the cycle path is wet we have a plan to avoid it. by sticking with tarmac.
Met Office currently saying 20 degrees with 60% chance of a shower as we set off then Goole at 4am is 40% chance of shower and 18 degrees then Hull at 8am is 7am is 20 per cent chance of shower and 18 degrees.
Cold we will not be. Damp, possibly. Possibly not, obvs.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
if the cycle path is wet we have a plan to avoid it. by sticking with tarmac.
Met Office currently saying 20 degrees with 60% chance of a shower as we set off then Goole at 4am is 40% chance of shower and 18 degrees then Hull at 8am is 7am is 20 per cent chance of shower and 18 degrees.
Cold we will not be. Damp, possibly. Possibly not, obvs.
Good job none of us are water soluble.

Must remember to tout a change of clothes for the journey home. Messenger bag where art thou?

Ponders... How much weight have I put on since I bought my snug fitting Endura waterproof I wonder?

Top Bottom