Food poisoning recovery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
My weekend has been ruined by food poisoning. It may have been dodgy fish. I feel I need a week off training, have 0 energy & generally feel like death.
Any C.C’ers have any recovery tips?

Slick

Guru
Are you sure it was food poison?

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I had food poisoning about 20 years ago and ended up in A&E. Even after I stopped bringing everything up my stomach was still cramping. They had to give me an injection to stop it!
You may have just picked up a stomach bug, there is a lot of noro virus going around at the moment.
Stick to a plain diet, drink plenty of water (boiled water is easier on the stomach) and use electrolyte powder to maintain body salts. Keep away from fizzy drinks and dairy...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't see any point in soldiering on stoically, attempting to work etc. Just watch a lot of crap TV, read a bit, sleep as much as you can, take Dioralyte, and drink as much alcohol as is necessary to lift your spirits. Food is optional. If food doesn't suit you, the feedback will come pretty fast.

Get well.

Denis99

Über Member
When I had food poisoning about three years ago it took longer than I initialled thought to get over it.

Dioralyte helps, but I found that I was left really weak after the illness had subsided.

I went out for a ride after one week , when I didn’t have any of the effects from food poisoning.

Had to turn back after about 30 minutes, it was more due to just being very weak. I would look at at least three weeks off the bike personally.

Hope you get better soon.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sounds like sh!t to me @Milzy

Rest up

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
By food poisoning do you mean diarrhoea and vomiting?
Yes!!

Maybe it was a stomach bug??

I had hot and cold fevers too. My vision was going dark at one point.

I don’t like been off work so I’ll have to blag it feeling rubbish.

Although I’m feeling better now my stomach is making lots of loud noises.

Alan O

Über Member
I've had food poisoning a number of times to various degrees of severity (I've traveled a lot, mostly in high-risk countries), and the key thing is hydration. Keep the fluid going in, and use an oral rehydration therapy (ORT) drink if needed (six level teaspoons of sugar and half a level teaspoon of salt in a litre of water to make up your own). You can feel like total crap at first, but recovery should be pretty quick. But if you don't feel better within 48 hours or have persistent liquid diarrhea, go see the doc - I delayed seeing the doc once and ended up on intravenous fluids.

Ugh. Nasty.

All the advice is very good. Treat yourself tenderly for a few days. I would advice sticking to simple carbs to start with, rehydration fluids, toast & jam when you feel up to it. Avoid alcohol, acidy drinks (eg full strength orange juice), fats, meat and dairy. Simple griiilled chicken breast when you feel ready to try proteins again. Listen to your body and let it tell you what it needs. If you are still throwing up or worse, then give 111 or your gp a call.

I've had food poisoning quite a few times (3 times in France, twice from duck confitte). My experience is 8 white hours driving the porcelain bus (alternating with - um - riding it; God the human body can be disgusting). I am then still an invalid, though able to go out, for the next 24 hours and then after that I slowly ramp up my activity to pre-white-night.

How long that takes depends on a lot of things. I don't believe there is any particular risk from pushing yourself, so just do what you feel you can.

One time a week or so after experiencing a bout of food poisoning, I still felt nauseous and bloated. A GP suggested a 24 fast to clear my digestive tract, in case there was a nasty taking shelter somewhere. I don't know if this is science or not, but after the fast - and gently reintroducing food - I felt well again.

midlife

Guru
Yes!!

Maybe it was a stomach bug??

I had hot and cold fevers too. My vision was going dark at one point.

I don’t like been off work so I’ll have to blag it feeling rubbish.

Although I’m feeling better now my stomach is making lots of loud noises.

Sounds like some sort of bacterial toxin if it's both ends and you are on the mend You could take some Loperamide if you are 72 hours after it started. Good news you feeling better :smile:

Top Bottom