Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
It's not all about bonking, it's about the body being able to function correctly.... one of those 'silly tabs' in each of my bottles every time I refilled ensured my best experience yet of hydration whilst on PBP - I didn't have to endure days of catch up from the effects of electrolyte imbalance at the end for example!

If I get an electrolyte imbalance - it effects my ability to take on food/fuel and will lead to bonking....

Ditto...

Anything under 2hours I don't bother with additives beyond cordial or lemon juice.

However on stinking hot days I add half a tab to a litre of water after my commute. I find that it seems to stave off cramp more than the bonk.

Bonk prevention is all about food for me.

I drink lots of tap water from glassware but in bike bottles it tastes awful tabs are an easy to carry and store in my locker way to jazz it up.

That said green tea flavour sounds yukky...

Tom B

Guru
Anyway back on topic....

Halfords will price match Cycle Republic on the £157 garmin 820. Cycling UK or British Cycling discount may also be available at your local store ;-)

Tom B

Guru
Is the 820 worth having?

My son's Garmin 520 ended up full of rain water and isn't working as a result.

Give me a few weeks and I'll let you know...

I was going to replace my stolen 520 (very wet very often) with a 520 plus.

But the 820 is currently selling cheaper than the 520 and has the fully featured navigation that appeals. (the 1030 appeals more but not the price). I believe the early issues with the 820 have been ironed out in later builds.

Have you spoke to garmin about your waterlogged 520? I've spoken to them a few times and found the helpful. I was planning on getting my 520 refurbished / new battery this winter. I think they send out a factory recon exchange unit. I think it was about £70 perhaps they might oblige?

I found them most responsive via Twitter.

Johnno260

Veteran
Is the 820 worth having?

My son's Garmin 520 ended up full of rain water and isn't working as a result.

I replaced a 520 with an 820, I find it better and they can be found cheap at the moment.

I haven't tested the navigation guide yet, I have some routes DL'd to test as soon as I get a chance.

Tenkaykev

Guru
With regard to Garmin service, I have always found them to be really helpful.
They swapped out an old knackered watch for a refurbished unit, not sure if it was £70, for some reason £40 comes to mind. Having said that, it was a few years ago.

Sixmile

Veteran
Halfords are doing one of their trade in events. Any old scooter or bike gets the 20% off a new bike. Enter the code online and order to store to further avail of 10% BC if you have it. It means a bike like this that retailed once at £360 can now be picked up for £160 / £144 (BC)

226198?w=637&h=403.jpg

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/junior-bikes/wiggins-rouen-junior-road-bike-700c

Pinnacle Monzonite 2020 Singlespeed Bike £295.

I got one of these last December when they were going for £400.

Now the rrp is £350, and they have them on sale at 15% off. :angry:

upload_2019-9-5_8-59-11.png

simon.r

Person
Picked up 8 tubes of High 5 Zero today - thanks to @Azzurrinick

I did wonder if the use by date may be close, but that’s not the case, it’s August 2021. I really don’t like the shop, so I used the £5 voucher to buy a pair of socks that were on display next to the till.

£11 for 8 tubes of tablets and a pair of socks works for me:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom