Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
RBS Hoolie Winter gloves from Polaris - £5 today only (10 hours left to buy at time of this post) - https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/dealoftheday.asp
Shame about the postage or I'd have a pair
You made me curious about P&P so I followed through to the checkout. For those that may be interested - £5.99 Royal Mail; £6.95 Fast track UK Order. It's free if collecting from their shop in Dronfield, Derbyshire.

Sixmile

Veteran
RBS Hoolie Winter gloves from Polaris - £5 today only (10 hours left to buy at time of this post) - https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/dealoftheday.asp

I clicked your link and noticed the Fixie Straps beneath the gloves. I ordered a few packs of the fixie straps when i bought some Polaris bikepacking gear at the start of the year and must say that the straps are simply a fantastic accessory. I use them in some shape or form on almost every bike trip. Mainly it's securing my crank to the rear stay to stop pedal strike when the bike is on the SeaSucker but also great for strapping anything to my Anything Cage or the bikepacking gear on the front bars or attaching a pump/schoolbag/coat/shopping to the H bars on my fat bike. Also, they make decent handcuffs too, apparently :tongue:

D

Deleted member 26715

Just buy 11 pairs - no p&P that way :laugh:
Or do as I did go pick them up & then spend another £75 whilst I was there

wonderloaf

Veteran
Planet X have started selling their own version of winter boots in both MTB and road versions, they look to be the same or very similar to the FLR Defender boots and at @£70 a pop look to be worth a gamble so I've ordered a MTB pair as Christmas present to myself, link here:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHFLRDEF/planet-x-das-boot-spd
Currently the boots are on pre-order but should be available from tomorrow, but this is PX we're talking about so I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed!

For info FLR Defender review here:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/14/fl...ble-winter-shoes-for-road-or-mountain-biking/

As a bonus PX are giving away a free helmet with every gift voucher you buy, so if you buy a voucher and use it as part of the payment then you get a helmet for free. Actually if you paid using 2 x £30 vouchers then I guess you could get two free helmets, but I didn't think of this until after I had placed my order! :banghead: However my order has been confirmed so I can now look forward to the boots and a free helmet :wahhey:(plus a couple of other goodies I snuck into the order :ph34r:)
Well the PX boots turned up today, not had a chance to test ride them yet as Mrs W wanted to spirit them away for Christmas :cry:(the bribes didn't work) but I did manage to try them on just to 'check the fit' ;).
At first look they seem to be well constructed, no obvious signs of poor quality manufacture (loose threads, etc), everything seems to be as it should be. The main external body of the boot (below the ankle cuff) is made from a synthetic plastic leather type material which is bonded around the bottom edge to the sole, and is also welted across the tongue (although in a different woven material) so hopefully should be pretty waterproof, that is assuming the materials used are water resistant or waterproof. Even the holes for the cleats seem to closed up somewhat; although you can slide the cleat plate fore and aft you have to push them quite hard, so maybe they've put a seal behind or closed the gaps to try to limit any water ingress. Unlike normal shoes you cant get to the cleat plates from the inside as there is no removable insole, it's completely lined with a fleece material.
The sole itself is very stiff, stiffer than my normal shoes so don't expect any problems there!
Just a note on sizing ... my current shoes are Shimano M089 MTB shoes in wide size UK11/EU46, during the summer with a single pair of thin socks on they're fine, but during the winter I ride with 1 or maybe even 2 pairs of merino wool socks as my feet get so cold, even then they're still like blocks of ice after an hour or so. The current shoe fit is a bit on the snug side so I decided to size up to size UK12/EU47 to allow room for the thicker socks and am glad that I did, with just the one pair of Woolie Boolies the fit is fine with just the right amount of room in the toe box, I might even be able to get another pair if needed but hope this won't be the case. Getting the boots on and off is easy due to the elasticated ankle cuff, and the quick lace up system works well, you can get the laces done up tight and the toggle seems to be very secure.
So my advice to anyone thinking of buying these boots is to think about sizing up, especially if your current shoes 'touch where they fit' as they say.
So in summary I'm very pleased with what I've seen so far, just need to get and ride with them. As they say 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating' ... very relevant seeing as it's so close to Christmas!

Thanks for reporting back wonderloaf - look forward to more in-use reports once the wife lets you get your hands on/toes into them.

I don't yet have any "winter boots", being down south at the mo prefferring to see the cold season through with double socks including Lidl toasties, but may be tempted by these at PX prices.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks for reporting back wonderloaf - look forward to more in-use reports once the wife lets you get your hands on/toes into them.

I don't yet have any "winter boots", being down south at the mo prefferring to see the cold season through with double socks including Lidl toasties, but may be tempted by these at PX prices.

I've used my Winter boots most of the summer with it being that muddy.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I too received my Planet X winter boots and concur with @wonderloaf . They seem well made, not too wide (I have narrow feet) and likewise have sized up from my usual 46 (Sidi) to 47. Haven’t tried them with thick winter socks, but my winter SIDI boots are just too snug for comfort with thicker socks. Soles look to have decent grips and very stiff.
Will update once I’ve fitted cleats and ventured out.

Top Bottom