Found Strava useful, now I don`t...............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When push comes to shove, I cycle for pleasure, and it keeps me fit. I use Strava to plot routes, and now British cycling have teamed up with "Bounts", I get rewards for my cycling mileage ( shopping money off cards and such) it's not a lot, but it all helps, and Strava is an easy way to log the miles. If it caused my blood pressure to rise, I'd jack it in.

h1udd

when my 5 year old can't cope with a game because she can't win, or someone is better than her and she starts to get all stroppy and starts acting like a 4 year old ... Sometimes I have to mediate and take her away from the game

Perhaps strava should implement some kind of parental controls ... So if you lose your Kom or keep placing 2nd to 10th then it emails your mum and she can decide whether to hug you and tell you, it's ok, it's just a game the nasty boy in 1st probably cheated or ate more of his dinner ... You really won ..... Or weather to cancel your account and let you watch tv instead ????

Premium members only of course

Aravis

Putrid Donut
As nearly all my rides are solo and spontaneous, there's never going to be a medal or brevet card at the end. For most of my rides over the years I have a date and a distance - and frequently no recollection at all of where I went. In a few decades time today's youngsters will be able to do the equivalent of me reviewing my 1985 tours, turn by turn and minute by minute. I am convinced there can be no turning back.

When I finally acquired a Garmin device in February, I had heard of Strava so that is what I started using. I quickly found that it did what I expected plus a lot of cool things besides. Having had a look at RWGPS, I can see good things there too, some of which I'm not sure I can get from Strava. So a question which I hope is not a stupid one: is there any reason not to use both? Clearly there is nothing to stop a ride being uploaded to both sites, but are there any reasons why you seriously don't want to be doing this?

outlash

also available in orange
If being a faux-pro is your thing and it's getting a little stressful because some nasty person has stolen your hard earned KOM's then get a crosser, find a few off road climbs and bask in the glow of your new batch of KOM's because you beat someone up a hill with a bike that's a fraction of the weight of the former KOM holders' MTB. You're welcome.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Another option, when you get a KOM set your ride to private :okay: Nobody knows you've got it then, so they don't go chasing it. It doesn't show up as a KOM, but you'll know you've got it & that's all that matters ^_^

I now know ... :bicycle:& is this why you won't let me ride up your drive :laugh: ?

Maybe, just ride your bike?
I even got rid of my basic bike computer and gave it to my little lad.
Free yourself!
^^^^^^^^^
This.
People can spend too much time competing than enjoying.
Unless of course you are a competitor,who needs to keep track of performance.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I now know ... :bicycle:& is this why you won't let me ride up your drive :laugh: ?

You're welcome to ride up the drive any time mate, but be aware, my kind neighbour has installed a gravel trap at the end of his drive :okay:

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I used to be very "bah humbug" when it came to Strava, and being competitive, but slowly, it grew on me and I started to get the bug, getting faster and fitter as time went on.

Now, I`m finding the opposite, I feel slow and useless, I`ve scraped together 4 KOM`s in the last 3 years when others have hundreds, all of which I`ve lost to the same bloke who is doing it to get on my tits (trust me I know!). I worked hard for those trophies and can`t even keep them.

Now I am demoralised, sick of riding to the point of throwing up, and hacked off with the whole thing. I get no reward for it, and when I do somebody takes the p*ss out of me.

What happened to just riding a bloody bike??

Much as I now sound like a chunky knitwear tree hugger, leaving the strava behind has been great.
I have a simple little computer on the bike now and have just started enjoying riding again, looking at the birds, looking at the view, even going to somewhere nice with a decent chippy and something interesting to look at rather than just flying round the same route to try and get segments and go home.

I'm pretty glad, as my personality defect and stravaholism got me 99.98% of the way to sacking cycling off altogether.

Although my KOM still stands (definitely didn't just check it) as it is in the wilds of Scotland and only four people have ever ridden it :laugh:

I'm toying with buying a large chateu in france or a place in Scotland somewhere we can use as a Stradetox retreat with a helpline for the similarly afflicted :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
I want to know who has the KOM/QOM on my street!
I don't use strava, but I'm the only person on a bike on it.

Top Bottom