Found Strava useful, now I don`t...............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I used to be very "bah humbug" when it came to Strava, and being competitive, but slowly, it grew on me and I started to get the bug, getting faster and fitter as time went on.

Now, I`m finding the opposite, I feel slow and useless, I`ve scraped together 4 KOM`s in the last 3 years when others have hundreds, all of which I`ve lost to the same bloke who is doing it to get on my tits (trust me I know!). I worked hard for those trophies and can`t even keep them.

Now I am demoralised, sick of riding to the point of throwing up, and hacked off with the whole thing. I get no reward for it, and when I do somebody takes the p*ss out of me.

What happened to just riding a bloody bike??

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Strexit is the answer.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Binned all of the tyrannical electronic gadgets ages ago and have never signed up for tracking apps.

I'm not against them but I ride because I like riding not because I want to compete with myself or anyone else and am not that bothered about my mileage down to the nearest yard.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Another option, when you get a KOM set your ride to private :okay: Nobody knows you've got it then, so they don't go chasing it. It doesn't show up as a KOM, but you'll know you've got it & that's all that matters ^_^
Didn`t know you could do that

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Another option, when you get a KOM set your ride to private :okay: Nobody knows you've got it then, so they don't go chasing it. It doesn't show up as a KOM, but you'll know you've got it & that's all that matters ^_^
The "uh-oh" email is annoying enough, without the same annoying tW*T emailing me too just to rub my nose in it, he`s done it to every one I`ve had, and although it`s only a bit of fun I could do without that crap

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Binned all of the tyrannical electronic gadgets ages ago and have never signed up for tracking apps.

I'm not against them but I ride because I like riding not because I want to compete with myself or anyone else and am not that bothered about my mileage down to the nearest yard.
That`s what I`m going to be doing from now on

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
All I've got is a Cateye computer recording distance(including total), speed & average speed.

Used more to record total distance than anything else.
Similar here, except it's a Garmin. I'm only interested in the total distance and climbing, really, as I like to build up endurance not speed.
By the way, here's the OpenStreetMap view of the last big hill on my 31km ride home every weekday. Look at all the contour lines going up the hill on Craig Rd. I can safely say that this hill alone contributes significantly to my overall fitness!
:bicycle:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/-37.80513/145.20818&layers=C

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I use Strava, but only to check my own improvement. Even that is counter productive sometimes. If I set a PR with a howling backwind it's gonna be difficult to match or beat.
I take little notice of other people's performance, but I take some satisfaction when I can just sneak into the top half occasionally.

Top Bottom