Found Strava useful, now I don`t...............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to be very "bah humbug" when it came to Strava, and being competitive, but slowly, it grew on me and I started to get the bug, getting faster and fitter as time went on.

Now, I`m finding the opposite, I feel slow and useless, I`ve scraped together 4 KOM`s in the last 3 years when others have hundreds, all of which I`ve lost to the same bloke who is doing it to get on my tits (trust me I know!). I worked hard for those trophies and can`t even keep them.

Now I am demoralised, sick of riding to the point of throwing up, and hacked off with the whole thing. I get no reward for it, and when I do somebody takes the p*ss out of me.

What happened to just riding a bloody bike??

Just use it to log your training. With my injuries I haven't even ridden in 7 months what I do in two weeks. It at least shows me I'm not the slowest person down or up an off road track.

Some people must be seriously unfit if I can beat then whilst recovering from my injuries. Reverse motivation

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I don't do Facebook but have just realised that strava has morphed in FB for cyclists that being the case I have just this week I unfollowed every one except my daughter and deleted my club asocitations.
I will still use it to record my rides but now I am mercifully free of "kudos giving" ride status checking and reading comments from people I barely know.

Kominic

Regular
I looked at his historic Strava logs. It was riddled with obvious digital EPO rides / motorised rides, so I (admittedly quite churlishly) flagged loads of them. All he needed to do is hit the "trust me, it's fine" button, and the ride was automatically "resolved". .

Flag them again and it stays flagged. Then they have to get Strava support to examine their upload and they decide if it goes up again or not. Get that fool flagged if he's juicing.

Kominic

Regular
Although I feel the ops pain, the post did make me laugh. (#heartless. #tool). That said, the way around that is to seek segments nobody rides on and to do the others at 4 in the morning. Both worked for me just fine. Being a sprinter helps too. Leave climbing to the 100Ib club riding machines.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Although I feel the ops pain, the post did make me laugh. (#heartless. #tool). That said, the way around that is to seek segments nobody rides on and to do the others at 4 in the morning. Both worked for me just fine. Being a sprinter helps too. Leave climbing to the 100Ib club riding machines.
I`m glad it made you laugh!

I`m not getting wound up by it any more, my rides/profile are now private, nobody else knows what I do or don`t do, I`m purely using it for logging my miles over the year - much more sensible.

As for all the kudos giving/getting crap etc......no no no no:banghead:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I`m glad it made you laugh!

I`m not getting wound up by it any more, my rides/profile are now private, nobody else knows what I do or don`t do, I`m purely using it for logging my miles over the year - much more sensible.

As for all the kudos giving/getting crap etc......no no no no:banghead:
If your just logging miles. ..then sign up to the Cycle Chat group at MyCycleLogs

h1udd

Loving strava more and more each day .... Thanks to trying to beat my segments and resting on others I am now tying them together .. Knocked over a minute off my commute in the last two weeks.... For me it's the best training resource ever invented ... Every journey to or from work is now a race with myself .... My quads have grown as well !!!!!

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Loving strava more and more each day .... Thanks to trying to beat my segments and resting on others I am now tying them together .. Knocked over a minute off my commute in the last two weeks.... For me it's the best training resource ever invented ... Every journey to or from work is now a race with myself .... My quads have grown as well !!!!!
Nothing to say you can`t.

Just not my cup of tea any more - it`s doing me more damage than good

I find its interesting I still set P.B.'s and whilst its at the back of my mind I don't tend to try for them, just pleasing if I do. especially as I am only doing 10-15% the distance I was a few years ago.

h1udd

I expect once I reach the higher levels of my fitness ability and stop improving, I'll start to get angry with it and have to quit .... Or just get bored as I have done with everything else I have been into.

When did you start with strava ??? ... Just wondering how long I have left before I reach where you are now

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I expect once I reach the higher levels of my fitness ability and stop improving, I'll start to get angry with it and have to quit .... Or just get bored as I have done with everything else I have been into.

When did you start with strava ??? ... Just wondering how long I have left before I reach where you are now
Couldn`t tell you to be honest, have used it on and off for several years. I can see where it will be useful for some, but I personally get sick of hearing about it, seems hardly anybody can ride without it these days and enjoy the outdoors and surroundings. To me it`s the same as the Castelli craze, but that`s another conversation..................

@speccy1 I just record on my garmin and upload whenever, I actually prefer RWGPS, but then I have my own data base, which for keeping an eye on fitness is better than any as it shows HR/CAD and ft/mile, and an average over time is a better indication of fitness, for example I used to average about 15mph, I haven't ridden as much recently so was disappointed a bit to see my speed drop to high thirteen's but then I looked at the elevation which was up from 37ft/mile to about 50ft/mile so I thought considering the lack of riding I guessed its not so bad.
@h1udd Individual segments are too weather dependent, this will have happened to many, you set a p.b. with a good tail wind you never equal it again, I don't set to many p.b.'s locally these days but I do from time to time especially roads I haven't done much, however this is one I do very often trip to my mates about 3 miles and 2-3 a week, I set a new p.b. this week https://www.strava.com/activities/643564642/segments/15730982907

Top Bottom