Found Strava useful, now I don`t...............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I use it for basic logging of mileage, but use Velo viewer as the analysis, comparing myself to myself. There are so many silly segments near me that I don't even bother looking at them

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Does your house have a long corridor? Create a segment inside the house. :laugh:

kiriyama

Strava is great as long as you have the right attitude towards it. I used to feel so frustrated and cheated if the gps went wrong and I lost half my ride. Almost as if the ride was pointless! But once you get over the taking it really seriously phase and just see it as a tool to help your own fitness it's great again.

There's one segment near me that I had the KOM on and every time I take it this one guy beets me THE NEXT DAY every time by 2 or 3 seconds. I think he's got issues! I can't help but laugh of the image of this guy who sees me as his strava nemesis! I couldn't care less!

Me and a friend are pretty equal in ability and I tend to compare segment times with him more than anyone else. I tend to be at the top of the daily segment leader boards on my commutes. There are a lot of good riders round here I don't know them in person but recognise them on the strava leader boards, it's a good feeling and a confidence boost to beet them on a segment but in reality in a race situation over any length of time they would compleetly destroy me.

D

Deleted member 1258

All I've got is a Cateye computer recording distance(including total), speed & average speed.

Used more to record total distance than anything else.

Thats all I've got, just the cycle computer, if I start doing audax again I might look at a Garmin type device to help with the navigation but apart from that I'm not interested.

I used to be very "bah humbug" when it came to Strava, and being competitive, but slowly, it grew on me and I started to get the bug, getting faster and fitter as time went on.

Now, I`m finding the opposite, I feel slow and useless, I`ve scraped together 4 KOM`s in the last 3 years when others have hundreds, all of which I`ve lost to the same bloke who is doing it to get on my tits (trust me I know!). I worked hard for those trophies and can`t even keep them.

Now I am demoralised, sick of riding to the point of throwing up, and hacked off with the whole thing. I get no reward for it, and when I do somebody takes the p*ss out of me.

What happened to just riding a bloody bike??
Strava is excellent for tracking mileage, and creating routes. That's all though. There are many ways to cheat on Strava. 6 very popular methods, are explained here.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...ts-make-their-strava-rides-look-better-177438

There are lots more ways. A lot of the 'leader board' leaders, are fairly obviously full of Shiite. Don't let it get to you. It's still a useful tool.

Another really easy cheat, involves hooking up a 'virtual trainer' (Zwift / Bkool ) etc. to a washing machine drum / motor. Record the ride as 'virtual' on Strava, then it allows you to change it to 'real ride'. Bingo, gazillions of Km's and little or no actual riding done:thumbsdown:.

Last edited:
Whats the point in that:wacko:
What's the point in any of the 'cheats'? I got a 'KOM' that I didn't even know was a 'segment' last year. Within a week, I got the 'uh oh' thing, and an email from the person who 'beat' me. I decided to put in a 'follower request' from someone else's profile. He accepted, I looked at his historic Strava logs. It was riddled with obvious digital EPO rides / motorised rides, so I (admittedly quite churlishly) flagged loads of them. All he needed to do is hit the "trust me, it's fine" button, and the ride was automatically "resolved". Now, he screwed up soon after. My Strava profile, doesn't use my actual name. His does / did. A person with the name on his profile, signed up for one of my led Skyride social rides, a couple of weeks ago. The person who signed up, turned up. Very out of shape, riding an e-bike:laugh:. It may not have been the same person, however, when I got home, and logged my Strava ride, guess who else appeared on my ride, yep, he was the guy. Quelle surprise, he got some KOM's on the ride to and from the Skyride:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Peoples is always surprised that I don't do Strava considering how I love the geek end of cycling (if someone asks me if I've upgraded my bike I have to ask "hardware or software?" and n+1 is actual code on my Edge 520) but its never floated my boat.

If I'm riding for pleasure then I don't want to be chasing virtual glory and if I'm training then I've already set my goals against something like a training plan, so again segment chasing doesn't come into it. Strava has some interesting training metrics but you can poke around in your numbers in much greater detail using something like Golden Cheetah, which is free, or TrainingPeaks, which is and isn't.

I prefer RWGPS its lets me compare my own rides better. On last night's TT for example I saw I was at or below my pbs for the first 8 miles but for the last two I was significantly faster and got a pb overall but I like comparing mystats on meaningful segments (rather stupidly short segments on pavement, dodgy turns and through lights) and breaking them down further for analysis but if its not for you don't bother ;-)

h1udd

Lol at the people who think the people that beat your times are personally going out their way to annoy you .... Guys it's in your head.

The guy that took you Kom from you doesn't give a sh1t about you, he just wants the Kom to be number 1 .... Did Cav win the sprint just to annoy Kittel or did he win it because that's the game ?

Don't hate the players, hate the game .... This Sunday I am going out 5 am to get better times on 3 of my segments ... Sm I doing it to personally offend the people above me ? No ... I am doing it be the best, and when i get that Kom I fully expect the people below me to up there game, play harder, work harder and go after my time .... It's the whole point

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I used to be very "bah humbug" when it came to Strava, and being competitive, but slowly, it grew on me and I started to get the bug, getting faster and fitter as time went on.

Now, I`m finding the opposite, I feel slow and useless, I`ve scraped together 4 KOM`s in the last 3 years when others have hundreds, all of which I`ve lost to the same bloke who is doing it to get on my tits (trust me I know!). I worked hard for those trophies and can`t even keep them.

Now I am demoralised, sick of riding to the point of throwing up, and hacked off with the whole thing. I get no reward for it, and when I do somebody takes the p*ss out of me.

You could always ride in a skirt and go for a few QOMs.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

A parallel:

I have a very good friend who is a golf obsessive. Caught in an everlasting quest to reduce his handicap (now slightly under 8) he is back-tracking a little on his relentless quest. It causes him angst as his improvement is plateauing and he no longer enjoys the game quite so much as he used to.

It's all about the numbers to him and less about the camaraderie of those he plays with, the beauty of some of the course locations and the sheer wonderful-ness of been in the great outdoors.

He is a bit fed up with it all and is seriously thinking about "easing off".

Top Bottom