Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
It's a shame someone reputable doesn't start a new team for young British riders, isn't it?
Maybe a pharmaceutical company could sponsor one. Together with the company that makes Jiffy bags

There’s probably a few path labs that could use some publicity too.

Last edited:

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Glad to see the DCMS select committee saw through the Sky smokescreen and is prepared to formally denounce Wiggins's/Brailsford's/Sky's bull$h1t about 'medical need' for corticosteroid performance-enhancing rocket fuel.

Did we already know the select committee has this 'well-placed and respected source about Team Sky's medical policy between 2011 and 2013'? It's the first I've heard of it. Has there been speculation as to who it is?

Did UKAD not give them a call too? The select committee must have considerable reason to believe the source to make these seemingly unequivocal accusations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/43280081
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/43281807

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
0DB740C4-6B2B-4AE8-A257-443128461008.jpeg

Ouch.

Wiggins takes a bullet but Brailsford’s position seems untenable now, and will Sky pull sponsorship, the Murdoch owned Sun are pulling no punches.
Will Froome be able to survive this with investigations hanging over him?

hoopdriver

Guru
I think what they are damning are the procedures that were followed, the deeply suspicious and frankly unbelievable lack of record keeping and carelessness as regards to drugs and medical records, the openness to abuse of the TUE protocols and Brailsford’s and Team Sky’s perceived willingness to to abuse it for a legal yet decidedly dodgy marginal gain

Tin Pot

Guru
I think what they are damning are the procedures that were followed, the deeply suspicious and frankly unbelievable lack of record keeping and carelessness as regards to drugs and medical records, the openness to abuse of the TUE protocols and Brailsford’s and Team Sky’s perceived willingness to to abuse it for a legal yet decidedly dodgy marginal gain

I know how bad the sport is, but that still amounts to nothing - if what they did is within the rules, it’s within the rules. The only accusation with any meat on it is that an “ethical line was crossed”. That’s a heap of crap statement anyway, but if the rules are not enforcing the ethics of the sport, the rules need to be changed.

There is so much cheating in sport, pro and amateur, to damn people on the basis that ‘there is no smoke without fire’ is just going to make things worse.

But in damning testimony, an anonymous but "well-placed and respected source" tells the committee that Wiggins and other riders were using corticosteroids before the 2012 season "beyond the requirement for any TUE".

its like a fekin primary school playground, ...."somebody told me something, but I'm not telling you who it was" surely anybody can come out with crap like that..., if you've something to say ,then stand up and say it instead of this cloak and dagger shyte.

whether or not wiggins cheated , how the feck can anyone say...you cheated within the rules...:wacko::wacko:

hoopdriver

Guru
I know how bad the sport is, but that still amounts to nothing - if what they did is within the rules, it’s within the rules. The only accusation with any meat on it is that an “ethical line was crossed”. That’s a heap of crap statement anyway, but if the rules are not enforcing the ethics of the sport, the rules need to be changed.

There is so much cheating in sport, pro and amateur, to damn people on the basis that ‘there is no smoke without fire’ is just going to make things worse.
I agree. I think there is a sense of vindictiveness here. The committee knows damn well they were lied to and fed a lot of blatant BS which they were obliged to swallow because they couldn't prove otherwise. It doesn't mean they had to like it though, and this is a bit of payback.

What I would like to know is if a rider was to take a placebo which was known to contain no performance enhancing chemicals, yet improve the cyclist's performance , would that be ethically wrong ?

hoopdriver

Guru
It would make for a fascinating experiment. Find a deeply dodgy cyclist - which would be about as hard as finding a hooker in Vegas - inject him with some saline solution which he has been told is a super potent performance enhancer, latest high-tech drug, utterly undetectable but dynamite in liquid form when it comes to firing up the muscles and wattage. I wonder what would happen? And if he rode himself into a heart attack winning a race by a country mile would you be guilty of murder, manslaughter or simple immortality?

KneesUp

Guru
Brad did say this in his book 'My time'

“British Cycling have always had a no-needle policy, it’s been a mainstay of theirs; so it was something I grew up with as a bike rider. In British cycling culture, at the word ‘needle’ or the sight of one, you go, ‘Oh shoot’, it’s a complete taboo...I’ve never had an injection, apart from I’ve had my vaccinations, and on occasion I’ve been put on a drip, when I’ve come down with diarrhoea or something or have been severely dehydrated.”

And then following the Russia hack/leak it was refined to "....that only referred to illegal injections". Call me picky but no needles means no needles to me, that's black and white, but when challenged Sky cry its grey not black and white.....
I was thinking about that bit over breakfast this morning. Thanks for saving me the time of finding it. "In British cycling culture, at the word ‘needle’ or the sight of one, you go, ‘Oh shoot’, it’s a complete taboo..." is an odd way to phrase it if you really mean "In British cycling culture, at the words ‘illegal injection’ or the suggestion of one, you go, ‘Oh shoot’, it’s a complete taboo...

View attachment 398635

Ouch.

Wiggins takes a bullet but Brailsford’s position seems untenable now, and will Sky pull sponsorship, the Murdoch owned Sun are pulling no punches.
Will Froome be able to survive this with investigations hanging over him?
Interesting that the Scum are attacking the team sponsored by their owner, as you say.

Top Bottom