Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tribansman

Veteran
Yep, good work @Aravis. Intrigued to see what your next offering is, another historical one would be good...

Holidayed in Penwith as a nipper and absolutely loved it, with the atmospheric moors and mists, beaches, pasties. Beautiful part of the world. I chose perhaps one of its least distinctive roads for this thread as the industrial remnants and coastal shots would have given it away too quickly.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yep, good work @Aravis. Intrigued to see what your next offering is, another historical one would be good...

Holidayed in Penwith as a nipper and absolutely loved it, with the atmospheric moors and mists, beaches, pasties. Beautiful part of the world. I chose perhaps one of its least distinctive roads for this thread as the industrial remnants and coastal shots would have given it away too quickly.
When you put up the second picture showing the sea, for I while I took it for granted that there was land in the distance, which made it hard to credit it being North Cornwall. I even looked at things like the reservoir on Bodmin Moor and the St. Germans River to see if I could make them fit. I had to make myself forget that I thought I could see land and decided the roads beyond St Ives were the most likely.

I have plenty more historical ones for the future. This one is a bit betwixt and between; taken in 1976, two pictures from the same spot on a road and in a landscape that has changed little. It is possible to find the spot quite precisely, and it's then interesting to see what has changed and what has remained. Not necessarily what you'd expect:

I thought I'd made them the same width, but the forum software seems to have overruled me. :rolleyes:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The minor road from Loch lomond to Loch Long through Glen Douglas looks very close too, but no cigar I fear.

East/West minor road, Scotland most likely is all I can offer.

straas

Matt
The boulders look quite light in colour and mix of rounded and angular - I'd guess at igneous source, deposited by a retreating glacier.

The hills look a bit too green for a lot of the highlands.

I'd guess this is around 300m altitude as there are some small trees but nothing higher up.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
That's a tremendous time-saving tip! All those hours poring over maps saved.
;)
But think of all the fun you'd've deprived us of in searching for yours. ^_^
The boulders look quite light in colour and mix of rounded and angular - I'd guess at igneous source, deposited by a retreating glacier.

The hills look a bit too green for a lot of the highlands.

I'd guess this is around 300m altitude as there are some small trees but nothing higher up.
It is the Highlands, but I agree with @classic33 that it does have a bit of an Irish look. Strictly speaking the photos in this thread are meant to be from the UK, so NI is OK.

Despite appearances it is classified as a B-road. It's since been resurfaced but not widened.

Interesting that you mentioned glaciation. There are moraine deposits in the upward view, and these are unchanged, but the boulders have largely disappeared. I can only think that sitting close to the road and in a position to roll down they were considered potentially hazardous, and of course the stone is of value.

Also remaining, surprisingly perhaps, are the telegraph poles. I was able to verify that I had found the exact spot by lining them up against the background. :cuppa:

Last edited:

swansonj

Guru
Oh for heaven's sake. How many single-track B roads, in the Highlands, approaching a body of water from a side valley with a reasonably long straightish stretch, possible vaguely but not perfectly E-W, with a prominent but distinct mountain behind, with telegraph poles in the same valley are there? Answer, almost certainly one. But can I find it? Can I flip....

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The B road is a dead giveaway, single track B roads being quite rare (indicated with dashed white and brown)

Of course, being a dead giveaway I can't actually locate it.

The nearest fit I can find is the B8007 on Ardnamurchan. It even has telegraph poles in the right place, but I'm pretty certain it's wrong.

1615219895615.png

Aravis

Putrid Donut
View attachment 577651

I think I have it?

If this is the area there are limited superficial deposits, so those boulders are likely relatively local, an igneous intrusion around 400 million years old.

The magma was silica rich, which gives them a lighter colour.
Yes, indeed you do. Admitting that it was a B-road was intended to be extremely helpful. I had a neat clue ready for tomorrow morning which I can now use another time.

Older maps will show many more single track A- and B-roads, and it's nice to see one more or less intact.

I'm hoping I can infer from the posts above that everyone's been enjoying themselves? :unsure:

Looking forward to seeing what you have for us, @straas.

Top Bottom