Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was thinking that it would be somewhere flat that was local to SoV, and therefore to me! I was looking in the Wyre/Fylde area, all the time thinking that I don't remember him riding out there...
Flat and local to me? There is no such thing.

I crossed that rather fine bridge twice en route to the north Norfolk coast in September. Thing is, it dosn't look like that any more since some <deleted> burnt out two cars on it a couple of years ago, leading to the wooden sleepers making up the surface of the bridge being decidedly insecure. It's now closed by two 1 x 1 x 2 metre lumps of concrete, one at each end. The smooth road is now decidedly rutted and overgrown too. All a bit sad. Bizarrely, on the way back, there was a man with a smallish, very fluffy dog which he'd stood on the concrete blockade and was grooming with a wire brush. I think he realised that this looked a bit odd - the bridge is in the middle of nowhere - and he rather sheepishly said that he was "Getting nesting material for the birds". Whether this was true or not I don't know, but it was memorable!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Flat and local to me? There is no such thing.
I should have said local-ish. TBH, I couldn't see you heading over there unless you had a particular reason to!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's a stumpy ex windmill thingy similar to the one in the picture beside the A614 near Bainton ... But that's not it. :sad: The road doesn't run downhill towards it like the one in the picture.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Looks like some sort of factory chimney, but tricky to see much else for the sun. if the chimney is the feature that has changed, then its akin to looking for a needle that isn't there in a haystack

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Looks like some sort of factory chimney, but tricky to see much else for the sun. if the chimney is the feature that has changed, then its akin to looking for a needle that isn't there in a haystack
Features that could reasonably have changed: The chimney; The building with the long flat roof to the right. The building in the field. The road.

Those are about the only features that it's possible to make out. I suppose the hedge could have changed. The field could have been ploughed or filled with llamas...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Looks like Chapel Hill heading down into Barrington. Taken on the bend up ahead?
567ACCA3-569B-47E6-9751-A32BE37A08B8.jpeg

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1638268364107.png

the 2008 view would support your theory.

former cement works being develped for housing.

the chimney and the building (or maybe it was pile of straw bales) in the field have gone, and who knew there were hills in Cambridgeshire?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’ll wait for formal confirmation but I’m just going out on bike for some lunchtime exercise. Assuming I’m right I’ll dig out a photo later.

robjh

Legendary Member
I’ll wait for formal confirmation but I’m just going out on bike for some lunchtime exercise. Assuming I’m right I’ll dig out a photo later.
Yes indeed, Chapel Hill heading down into Barrington. Any Cambridge cyclists should have got that quickly as it's a very popular route round here. It is about the closest real hill to this flattish city and has a fame locally that far exceeds its actual height or challenge.
The changed feature was the chimney by the quarry, which came down days after this photo at the end of 2018.

Top Bottom