Garage broken into....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
...last night. It's a sectional concrete garage with door anchor so they entered through the roof. My motorbike was stolen but 7 bicycles left untouched, phew.:okay:

The bike was recovered nearby, unrideable and maybe £400's worth of damage so I'll have to bite that bullet, but the main topic is the bizarre behaviour of three neighbours.

At 4am my neighbour's (2 doors away) dog woke her up, thinking it needed a tinkle she let it out into her back garden, immediately she spotted my garage wide open and torch light moving inside. She could have gone to my front door unseen and alerted me, she could have rung me, she could have rung the police. What did she do?

Well, she wrote me a letter, dated and time, a nice touch, detailing what she had seen and posted it through my letter box probably as my motorbike was being wheeled away.

The bike was wheeled away by at least two people as the front disc lock was still on at that point, into a nearby alley. Their wrecking started in an attempt to start the bike, waking another woman up, it was happening right under her bedroom window, she was scared, didn't ring the police and went back to bed.

Her next door neighbour was awoken too, she saw what was happening and posted a message on social media that a stolen bike was being "mended" outside her house, posted the reg number and........... went back to bed.

:wacko:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry. There's nowt as weird as folk!

D

Deleted member 1258

Sorry. There's nowt as weird as folk!

We were broken into in 1993, they forced a small security window at the back of the house, but couldn't get back out through the window and did a lot of damage breaking out as the couldn't find any door keys and everything was locked up. ended up it cost more to repair the damage than replace what they stole. Our neighbor saw them breaking in but did nothing and told us afterwards he thought we were having work done on the windows, windows that had barely been in for twelve months.:wacko:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Amazing..
They may be back..
That often happens when they steal electrical items. They wait sufficient time until the insurance company has paid out and you've replaced the lost items then break in again to steal your brand new stuff. Bastards.

Milzy

Guru
FFS you have a nice house in a lovely area but such passive neighbors are bad neighbors.
The muppet theives would have been better taking the bikes.

D

Deleted member 1258

That often happens when they steal electrical items. They wait sufficient time until the insurance company has paid out and you've replaced the lost items then break in again to steal your brand new stuff. Bastards.

When we got broken into we had a stereo stolen, but they left one of the speakers behind. A couple of weeks later there was a report in the local paper about break in where they had only taken a speaker, and I've often wondered if it was the same thief trying to complete the set.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sorry to hear that. It happened to me 6 years ago around this time. The insurance company were excellent and we replaced 99% of the stuff that was stolen. But I was left very angry and upset.

Neighbours do some odd things but I must admit both your neighbours' reactions were bordering on comical (with respect). Do you think it's the social media affect i.e. some people think posting on FB is more "real life" than actual real life?

I'd have a look at motion activated lights and alarms.

Top Bottom