Garage broken into....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
@MarkF
What sort of roof is it ?
Bastewards came through ours 2 years ago and its tiled with a plaster board ceiling.
They just nicked my 2 bikes so it was obviously targeted.
We "KNOW" who did it..... neighbours renting a house opposite. The police "KNOW" it was them. But without proof nothing we could do.
Its like fort knox wow.

Maybe you need something like https://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk...uder-alarm-range/intruder-starter-alarm-kit-/ put the alarm sounder box on the house but the unit & the sensor in the garage.

We were told by the local Crime Prevention Officer, after our break-in, that although there's a limit on just how loud external alarm units can be there's no legal limit on how loud internally mounted alarm bells/sirens can be. He suggested putting a VERY loud alarm inside in addition to the usual external box. I can concur that when that thing goes off it's hard to even think straight and all I want to do is get the hell out of there.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
We were told by the local Crime Prevention Officer, after our break-in, that although there's a limit on just how loud external alarm units can be there's no legal limit on how loud internally mounted alarm bells/sirens can be. He suggested putting a VERY loud alarm inside in addition to the usual external box. I can concur that when that thing goes off it's hard to even think straight and all I want to do is get the hell out of there.
Brilliant idea!

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Well lets hope they get the same treatment

Tbh I don't hope so, one did come around later telling MrsF that she was "So sorry" and if she'd known it was my bike she's have rung the police. But what does ownership matter?:blink:

Neighbours do some odd things but I must admit both your neighbours' reactions were bordering on comical (with respect). Do you think it's the social media affect i.e. some people think posting on FB is more "real life" than actual real life?

Yes I do, she's gone straight online whilst by bike was being vandalised outside her gate!

The police couldn't believe how many people did hear/see something when they went door knocking and were dumbfounded that nobody had rung them

@MarkF
What sort of roof is it ?

It's concrete sectional garage with corrugated (bitumen?) sheets. They removed the fascia and prised the edge panel till it snapped, dropped in through the hole onto a shelf. Once inside they dealt with the door defender and ground anchor with.........................my friggin tools! :cursing:

Rotten thing to happen @MarkF Hope the insurance pays for the repairs and those thieving barstewards get what they deserve.

No point in claiming, say it's £600/700 inc roof damage, excess is £250 and I insure 5 vehicles for which my premium would be hiked for 5 years.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Not quite the same but I'm still partly embarrassed, really annoyed and now a bit over protective of the two women who's house was broken into on Saturday afternoon a few doors up from me. This was done late afternoon bold as brass and nobody saw or heard anything untoward and wasn't discovered until they came back from a night away on Sunday afternoon.

I think people can become a bit insular, almost frightened to interfere in anyone's life but hopefully I won't make the same mistake again.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Oh Yes, if you can get an alarm that will trigger a https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Masterblas...0001-Klaxon-Master-Blaster-Sounder/7010458801 it needs 240V then these are awesome, I used to fit these a few years ago & once they go off you can be physically sick with the noise.
upload_2018-12-17_23-1-34.png

So, not a really loud jet engine then...just an average one.

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't believe it ever was legal.
I really wouldn't want to be in the shoes of a home owner who deliberately set up a man trap to electrocute an intruder and ended up causing injury or death. :thumbsdown:
If an intruder accidentally touched my overhead heating wires whilst making an entry through the roof I could not be held responsible there is a notice clearly visible on the card in my wallet that they are there.

classic33

Leg End Member
He's not far from Kranks shop. Short walk out of Leeds City Centre.

"Shot fired" gets an almost instant response, from anyone.

Failing that, a battery powered electric fence box. Mains is illegal, battery isn't.

The last time a neighbours shed was broken into I went out with a torch and asked if they wanted a bit more light.

Top Bottom