Garmin Edge 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
The 500 is closer in function to the 310XT than a 705. Think of it as a very chunky normal headunit (Sigma/VDO/Cateye etc). The mounting system is infinitely better and I can't imagine it ever breaking unlike the older Edge mounts.

Ergonomically the buttons are about the same as a 705 to press, although for menu scrolling the little joystick on the 705 is more logical. The buttons (four) share controls depending if you press or hold which has caused me a few problems. I'd actually say the unit is closer to a 205/305 than the 705.

The file format is the major difference - it's been changed to accommodate the temperature field so is stored in a *.fit format. I haven't tried it the the powertap yet so don't know if the files will be read by PowerAgent.

Otherwise it's just the same as any other Edge. Gotta love the battery life of the 500 and 310XT!

amaferanga

Veteran
The Garmin forums are a good place to get a feel for the capabilities and current issues with Garmin GPS. The Edge 500 has its problems (as does the 705, 310xt, etc.), but Garmin do seem to sort things eventually.

Will1985

Über Member
Good call amaferanga - I have to say that Garmin's customer service is top notch too. I've broken several GSC10s and they've all been replaced FOC.

I'm about to try something on the turbo - I think that the premium HR strap reads too low so I'll wear that plus the standard strap and compare readings.

If you want pics of units side by side etc MadoneRider, let me know.

OP
OP
MadoneRider1991

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Will1985 said:
Good call amaferanga - I have to say that Garmin's customer service is top notch too. I've broken several GSC10s and they've all been replaced FOC.

I'm about to try something on the turbo - I think that the premium HR strap reads too low so I'll wear that plus the standard strap and compare readings.

If you want pics of units side by side etc MadoneRider, let me know.

what garmins you got??

Will1985

Über Member
Each unit has its advantages. The 310XT is a pretty chunky unit and the slowest to find a GPS signal, plus the strap pins are weak, but simple for running and cycling once locked on.

It really depends on what you want out of the unit. I've said many times before that the 705 is not a sat nav and those wanting one should be looking more towards the eTrex type units. As a young rider who is probably more interested in racing, the mapping feature is really an added extra in case you get lost on a long ride. The other features are more valuable to you.
I've only had the 500 a couple of weeks but I think it will become my favourite. It is built more like a standard bike computer (before Garmins I had the Sigma BC1606) and works just the same as the others with a clear screen capable of displaying 8 things. As I said before the twist lock mount is an improvement, and one extra display it has in the history is for maximum values....in fact for display of power data, 500 is the best. Only downside at the moment is the menu navigation which I have to really think about to avoid restarting or resetting the ride.

I compared the HR straps as well using the 500 and 705 on this evening's turbo session - no difference so that was probably just me. Interestingly the calorie count (which I don't record in my training log) was the only field where there was a difference. The 705 said 1050kcal while the 500 had 680kcal. Garmin have probably improved this in the new unit and it also takes athletic ability into account (eg: Elite/Good Amateur/Average Amateur/Slob etc...)

gilbo1967

hi
i bought myself a garmin edge 500 only had it a couple days nice bit of kit to have on bike .

gilbo

viniga

Guru
Happy with mine so far (replacement for a 305). Make sure you update the firmware to the latest version as the software has been a bit buggy.

Compared to 305 it's a nice size and the mount is much better. Sat reception still a bit iffy under trees, tall buildings and heavy skies.

Viniga

Top Bottom