Garmin not showing correct cycle journey distance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluezelos

First time I have had this problem. Garmin Edge 820 explore has just shown a total journey distance of 5 miles when the journey is in fact 15. It also shown my average speed at 8mph when it's always around 15. Totally out of sync, any ideas why this is happening. It was a dull and overcast day, would this have any affect on the gps system?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What does the gps trace look like?

OP
OP
bluezelos

bluezelos

Yeah suppose I'll never know. I'll just keep an eye on it next journey. Never happened before so something gone wrong, although I did remember it said 45 minutes ride duration, which was about right.

OP
OP
bluezelos

bluezelos

Ah ok, there may have been a message I don't really look at the screen much if it is a regular ride. I didn't really understand what the beeping was about. I'll take more notice next rime. Thanks for the replies.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My Garmins beep if you haven't pressed ride/record

172traindriver

Legendary Member
What day did it happen?
I had a problem with my Edge 1000 on Sunday.
It froze time wise. I started a ride at 10:00 and it stuck at 10:24. It kept recording mileage during the ride but lost a few miles compared to a mate mileage.
also when I downladed it there was just a straight line covering a few miles, point to point.
Most odd, I turned it on and off a few time later on and for a while the time was stuck at 10:24, and it was saying no gps signal.
Eventually it reset itself to the correct time..............most odd???

OP
OP
bluezelos

bluezelos

Latest update. Did a ride from Barnoldswick to Skipton and back in North Yorkshire yesterday. Had a route downloaded to my garmin, as I set off I got a wrong course indicator, so turned round and tried to find the correct course but the garmin didn't seem to pick up my movements attempting to get back on course. I then decided to start riding anyway and find my own route, so hit the ride button. I kept getting beeping sounds and 'lost satellites' warning every few minutes. On my journey back I looked at the display and it was showing the time correctly and the time ridden but wasn't showing my speed or ascent or descent, so my summary showed time: 43:48.26 Distance 4.10 miles average speed 5.61 mph. There is no way all this is correct.

On the way out, when I kept getting the beeps, I kept turning the garmin on and off to try to reset it, and starting ride again when I turned it on, consequently I have 3 or 4 rides showing separately all with wrong info.

I have tried googling garmin lost satellites but nothing seems to come up. It is starting to annoy me that at near £200 device can be so unreliable when needed. Am I doing something wrong. ie: does my bluetooth need to be on, to connect to my phone while cycling? does having an added app affect it ( I have a data field and a device app (komoot) added.

I have tried to source an answer on the Garmin site/forum, but this doesn't seem to throw up any answers.

Am I the only person who has a 'lost satellites' error message?

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I use a very old Garmin Etrex which has been extremely reliable except for a couple of times when it got very confused about where I was. I realised that those times I set off before it had locked onto enough satellites. It didn't seem to like 'trying to hit a moving target'!

I didn't think this would apply to more modern devices, but I just found the following advice for the Edge 820 on the Garmin site:

Improving GPS Satellite Reception
  • Frequently sync the device to your Garmin Connect™ account:
    • Connect your device to a computer using the USB cable and the Garmin Express™ application.

• Sync your device to the Garmin Connect Mobile app using your Bluetooth® enabled smartphone.
    While connected to your Garmin Connect account, the device downloads several days of satellite data, allowing it to quickly locate satellite signals.

• Take your device outside to an open area away from tall buildings and trees.
  • Remain stationary for a few minutes.

Try that lot and see how you get on? Make sure you know how to check that the device has locked on properly.

PS If you like riding in the Barnoldswick/Skipton area and are free on June 22nd, you'd be welcome to come along on our forum ride from Clitheroe!

Latest update. Did a ride from Barnoldswick to Skipton and back in North Yorkshire yesterday. Had a route downloaded to my garmin, as I set off I got a wrong course indicator, so turned round and tried to find the correct course but the garmin didn't seem to pick up my movements attempting to get back on course. I then decided to start riding anyway and find my own route, so hit the ride button. I kept getting beeping sounds and 'lost satellites' warning every few minutes. On my journey back I looked at the display and it was showing the time correctly and the time ridden but wasn't showing my speed or ascent or descent, so my summary showed time: 43:48.26 Distance 4.10 miles average speed 5.61 mph. There is no way all this is correct.

On the way out, when I kept getting the beeps, I kept turning the garmin on and off to try to reset it, and starting ride again when I turned it on, consequently I have 3 or 4 rides showing separately all with wrong info.

I have tried googling garmin lost satellites but nothing seems to come up. It is starting to annoy me that at near £200 device can be so unreliable when needed. Am I doing something wrong. ie: does my bluetooth need to be on, to connect to my phone while cycling? does having an added app affect it ( I have a data field and a device app (komoot) added.

I have tried to source an answer on the Garmin site/forum, but this doesn't seem to throw up any answers.

Am I the only person who has a 'lost satellites' error message?
Is it newish? If you contact Garmin support they should be able to advise on a fix or exchange it. The first thing they'll tell you to do is a hard reset, so I would do this anyway and if it doesn't work you can at least tell them you've already done it which should shorten the process.

OP
OP
bluezelos

bluezelos

Thanks for the replies

ColinJ - I did see that on the site, I take it you if you remain stationary etc.. the garmin tells you it has located the satellites, so you are then ok to continue to ride? The bit about sync your device with garmin connect mobile app - does this mean whilst out on a ride? Thanks for invite on June 22nd, won't be there then but I may be up there 25th-27th, still yet to finalise it.

Crackle - bought it supposedly 'new' from buyer on ebay. If I do a reset do I lose all the info on it? (not really too bothered as it's all save don Strava anyway)

Top Bottom