Garmin Varia 2 Bike Light & Radar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I have the Garmin Varia radar rear light.
I think it is brilliant and I would not ride without one now.
I am 72 and I guess my senses are not as sharp as a young persons but with age comes a heightened sense of danger.
I ride in rural North Yorkshire, lots of narrow winding lanes but not a lot of traffic. You can ‘switch off’ when riding with little traffic and the varia gives you ample warning when a car is approaching. I can see this being less useful when riding in heavy traffic, the audible alerts would be almost constant !

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have one, I love it. It works pretty well in a group, the only time it alerts you to a cyclist is when they gain on you very quickly, so in normal group riding it is fine. I have mine because I have a slight mobility issue meaning I find it difficult to get a full look over my right shoulder. I still need to perform a quick shoulder check before a manoeuvre but I don't have to do standard checks whilst riding. I don't use it on my commute as it would go off a lot and to be honest there are always cars around me when I am not on the cycle path.

One bonus - because it is ANT+ you can have your friends connect to simultaneously so the whole group gets the alerts.

Must say on first hearing of these things thought them gimicky but I maybe could be converted - especially in years to come - as I age.

Would only get one if standalone in some way though.

These have to be integrated with an all singin/dancing GPS don't they?

I would stick with my 3 etrexes.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Must say on first hearing of these things thought them gimicky but I maybe could be converted - especially in years to come - as I age.

Would only get one if standalone in some way though.

These have to be integrated with an all singin/dancing GPS don't they?

I would stick with my 3 etrexes.

Have a look in the Garmin website and it has a list of supporting head units. Or you can get the combo deal which has the radar head unit separate. Tiny little thing.

Top Bottom