Getting back to fitness. It begins...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
working too many hours on nights, drinking too much booze to cope coupled with a terrible diet, pills to sleep, pills to wake up - has left me a physical heap.

I did a 2 day ride fixed with @Pennine-Paul on the Lancashire Cycleway Southern Loop and had to bail on day 2 after only 30 miles. It took me over a week to recover and my lower back still aches.

So I need to get fitter and lose weight as 18 stones is not good for me.

So the plan is to do a minimum of 4 rides of a 15 mile hilly loop per week for a few week and then up it gradually. I want to be able to do 100 milers again by New Year.

To keep me motivated I'm planning on logging my rides in this thread....any support will be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
8/11/15 - 15 miles, hilly loop - On Brompton. Ridiculously windy and wet.

Neilsmith

Good luck I started riding 18 months ago and it's improved my fitness no end. I'll keep an eye out on your progress. The first hills I went up almost killed me, but within the year I climbed the col de la Pierre Saint Martin from Arette. I don't think I will ever break any speed records but I did it. If someone had told me I would do that within a year I would have thought they were bonkers

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
So the plan is to do a minimum of 4 rides of a 15 mile hilly loop per week for a few week and then up it gradually. I want to be able to do 100 milers again by New Year.
I know you are already an experienced cyclist, but maybe you should aim a bit lower until Spring, perhaps? Will you still be working nights? This causes upheaval in the body's system, ime.
Good luck in your quest to regain fitness!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
@just_fixed, I would start a lot more gently than that. If you aren't fit (and Lord knows, I wasn't when I started again), four 15 mile rides a week are probably going to seem punishing and bad for morale. My first 5 mile commute nearly killed me. Just take it really gently to start with, and get to enjoy being out bimbling around. If it's fun, you'll do it more and more. There's no point in wanting to be some sweaty grim-faced iron man in a Nike advert. Bikes should be fun!

screenman

Legendary Member
Can I suggest a calorie counter as well, certainly helped me.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
@just_fixed, I would start a lot more gently than that. If you aren't fit (and Lord knows, I wasn't when I started again), four 15 mile rides a week are probably going to seem punishing and bad for morale. My first 5 mile commute nearly killed me. Just take it really gently to start with, and get to enjoy being out bimbling around. If it's fun, you'll do it more and more. There's no point in wanting to be some sweaty grim-faced iron man in a Nike advert. Bikes should be fun!
I'm more than capable of this, this is gentle for me. Up until 6 months ago I was capable of 100 milers, it's the last 6 months that's been a big change. Even as late as July I was still just about capable of 30 miles hilly fixed gear rides (did a few with @ColinJ), thanks for the support though.

The shock came when I did a repeat ride of the Lancasire Cycleway on fixed at 69". Day one was horrendously wet n windy and we cut it short to 50 miles. Day two was bad, I was in pain from the get go, saddle pain and lower back and at the pub stop 30 miles in, I bailed and rang the wife for a lift home. Had I started on the Brompton I may have been in better shape on day 2 because Rivington on fixed in that weather isn't easy even when fitter.

Last edited:

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
Sounds like a plan! Just start of gently and build up to it over a month or so. I'm annoyed with myself as I have picked up a knee patellar tendon injury from doing too much (that and a lack of flexibility). What makes it worse is that I ordered a new bike 3 weeks before the injury and haven't gotten chance to ride it! Looking at a 2-3 months recovery with no running or cycling :angry:. Keep us posted, if I can't cycle myself - I can still listen to others having some winter fun!

Top Bottom