Getting back to fitness. It begins...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Good to see you back out again S, how is your plantar these days, think I have it and need advice on what to do?
I take Turmeric capsules every day since I read the research on it. It seemed to help and it helps my osteoarthritis in my shoulders as well.
PF really sucks and I'm sorry you're suffering. Unfortunately the research shows that not one intervention works for everyone. GWS.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Wow getting back to fitness throws up weird stuff. I started coughing last night after my ride. I just put it down to the cold air. This morning I'm coughing up old hard green gunk, I'm guessing I've had a chest infection and not realised.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
working too many hours on nights, drinking too much booze to cope coupled with a terrible diet, pills to sleep, pills to wake up - has left me a physical heap.

I did a 2 day ride fixed with @Pennine-Paul on the Lancashire Cycleway Southern Loop and had to bail on day 2 after only 30 miles. It took me over a week to recover and my lower back still aches.

So I need to get fitter and lose weight as 18 stones is not good for me.

So the plan is to do a minimum of 4 rides of a 15 mile hilly loop per week for a few week and then up it gradually. I want to be able to do 100 milers again by New Year.

To keep me motivated I'm planning on logging my rides in this thread....any support will be greatly appreciated.
Good luck. Log away, I shall keep my eye open for the posts.

I'm also on a fitness drive but am focussing..initially...on loosing 3 stone and allowing that to assist my riding . I'm actually still pretty bike fit so hope that the weight loss will make riding even more enjoysble

Just need to get through Christmas and I suspect the rest will be straightforward...if a little tough.

Randallrunbike

Apart from the cycling advice, what else can greatly help is keeping a food diary of every single thing you eat. I mean everything as well ie, that last Jaffa cake in the office, the crust from your partners marmalade toast, one segment of chocolate orange in the fridge..... you get the picture! It will make you more conscious of your eating habits. Good luck!

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
15 miles very hilly on the Brommie and the wind was awesome. I was in 1st gear descending a 5% gradient and if I stopped pedalling I was blown backwards I made it up Manchester Rd....just.....storm riding yeeeehhhaaaaa!!!!!!!

Edit: I've just checked the local weather station and it reckons +60mph gusts, phew no wonder it was tough.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
15 miles very hilly on the Brommie and the wind was awesome. I was in 1st gear descending a 5% gradient and if I stopped pedalling I was blown backwards I made it up Manchester Rd....just.....storm riding yeeeehhhaaaaa!!!!!!!

Edit: I've just checked the local weather station and it reckons +60mph gusts, phew no wonder it was tough.
I was up there earlier on yesterday when the wind was still just hard, rather than crazy hard!

Well done for making the effort, but having been literally blown off the back of my bike once in Spain, I avoid 50+ mph winds now! :okay:

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I was up there earlier on yesterday when the wind was still just hard, rather than crazy hard!

Well done for making the effort, but having been literally blown off the back of my bike once in Spain, I avoid 50+ mph winds now! :okay:
Over Crown Point? I really like riding up there, day or night, the views are outstanding.

ColinJ

Over Crown Point? I really like riding up there, day or night, the views are outstanding.
I toyed with it but the wind put me off so I turned back at the Manchester Rd lights. Thinking about it now though, the wind was kind of westerly so it would have been a cross-tailwind doing Crown Point Rd that way.

I rode it a few weeks back in calmer conditions.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Last night. 15 hilly miles and it was very windy again. I'm getting a little bit bored of head winds.

Out again tonight. I'm just not getting out enough despite rearranging my work life. I need to try harder.

Last night. 15 hilly miles and it was very windy again. I'm getting a little bit bored of head winds.

Out again tonight. I'm just not getting out enough despite rearranging my work life. I need to try harder.

Take it easy. You need to enjoy what you do. I do more running than cycling during these winter months when the weather is not so good for riding.

ColinJ

Perhaps it would be worth using a turbo trainer when the weather is bad or you are pushed for time?

The 'boom box' I used to use when on my gym bike had broken and I don't like indoor cycling without music so I haven't been doing it. I spotted a used boom box for £15 at the local market today so I will be doing some indoor riding now when I can't face going out.

ColinJ

Usual 15 miles and silly windy again. Felt tired tonight not just unfit. I think it's the co codamol tablets - they suck.
In old age, my parents knocked them back like they were sweets. I'm sure that they were addicted to them because they seemed to take them even when they were not in a lot of pain.

I'm glad to see that you are still riding. Maybe we will manage to get some rides in together again in the NY. I will probably be doing a ride up the A646 and on to Waddington in January. If you feel up to joining me for that I could meet you at the Manchester Rd lights. I'll be in touch in the NY!

Top Bottom