Getting out at lunch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to commute quite regularly but with work being really hectic at the moment, it's ground to a pretty much standstill. I decided over the weekend that I'd bring a bike to work and get out during the lunch break. By the time I'd changed and actually got out of school (being pestered by staff and children all the way to the gates), it really only left me about 30 mins to cycle.

Anyone got any tips about how I can maximise what I'm doing in that time to the best effects? Today I tried the 'go as fast as you can as long as you can' but not sure that's a great scientific principle!

Thanks in advance,

Russ

mustang1

Legendary Member
Don't change. Go for a leisure ride instead.

Unless you're looking for a fitness oriented lunch break? In which case 30 mins hard is pretty OK, unless you're already really fit maybe.

I used to go out at lunch for a leisurely ride but that was a long time ago.

screenman

Legendary Member
Get into work an hour earlier and do your ride then. I commend you on your chosen profession, it is certainly not one I could do, I did manage to breed two teachers though. Th eldest is an iron man and Deputy head, how he manages 15+ hours of training a week and be a dad and husband i do not know.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I was gong to suggest high nterval training, but with only 30 mins, your time is going to be even more limited, otherwise you could be walking back into the classroom very sweaty. :smile:

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Get into work an hour earlier and do your ride then. I commend you on your chosen profession, it is certainly not one I could do, I did manage to breed two teachers though. Th eldest is an iron man and Deputy head, how he manages 15+ hours of training a week and be a dad and husband i do not know.
Hi Screenman...your son sounds like a trojan and well done to him...I'm jealous! At the moment getting in at 7am and leaving at about 5pm most days but at least once or twice a week there'll be meetings until 8,9 or even 10 some nights. There is some time between meetings on those nights but I like to try and get home and see the kids in between if I can. Not moaning btw...I love my job and I knew when I took the headship on it was going to be tricky...I've also still got two days teaching commitment so it's not like I've got out of marking either (bane of my life!!!).

screenman

Legendary Member
3 hours of day light before start time then, I swim at 7am each morning but I like to get most of my office work done before leaving home so I get up at 5 and start work at 5.15. Mind you anything after 10.30 and I am out like a light.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
In all my jobs I've tended to go out for a walk at lunchtimes - except for the two years I worked in schools. Why do they make it so difficult to get out? In both schools it seemed to take forever to get through all the doors and walk as far as the gate. With only 40 minutes for lunch it was time to turn around and go back as soon as I made it to the gate.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
In all my jobs I've tended to go out for a walk at lunchtimes - except for the two years I worked in schools. Why do they make it so difficult to get out? In both schools it seemed to take forever to get through all the doors and walk as far as the gate. With only 40 minutes for lunch it was time to turn around and go back as soon as I made it to the gate.
It's usually the lunch time supervisors sending them in because they're not sure how to deal with one child taking umbridge that another looked at them in a strange way!

screenman

Legendary Member
Teachers, only work 9am till 3.30 pm and moan about long hours, no weekend work and thirteen weeks paid holiday, they should try a proper job.

Only kidding, as I said earlier knowing how hard and long my kids work, well I may do more hours but certainly do not get the stress.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I used to commute quite regularly but with work being really hectic at the moment, it's ground to a pretty much standstill. I decided over the weekend that I'd bring a bike to work and get out during the lunch break. By the time I'd changed and actually got out of school (being pestered by staff and children all the way to the gates), it really only left me about 30 mins to cycle.

Anyone got any tips about how I can maximise what I'm doing in that time to the best effects? Today I tried the 'go as fast as you can as long as you can' but not sure that's a great scientific principle!

Thanks in advance,

Russ
Still light at 9.00.

Evening ride?

LeonBlack

I go out at dinner and manage 45 mins on average. It started out just going out with a colleague who was looking to get fit. He was doing 9.5mph and I was just using it to turn my legs over a bit for an extra 3/4 hr a day. As he's got fitter and upgraded his bike a bit, we're now up to 14 mph for 50 minutes every day and it's really paying off.

If I need a harder challenge though, I'll go off on my own and ride up a steep hill near work 10 times which takes more or less an hour. I have done this half a dozen times over the last couple of weeks and has really helped my speed during other rides and fitness for other stuff I do.

I know you've only got 30 minutes but you can either find a hill and do what I've been doing for as long as time allows or do some high intensity interval training

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I used to do a 30 minute mad dash to the bank and back one lunchtime a week. It involved climbing 3 hills on the way there, and two on the way back, so was good for intervals. Did it in cycling gear in the summer, but could get away with work trousers in winter.

Can you dedicate one day a week as" headmaster shows kids that fitness is important by going out on a training run" day?

KneesUp

Guru
I got quite fit as a youngster by simply riding my commute (20 mins) as hard as I could - it was a flat route with lots of traffic lights but basically I used to treat each section of lights to lights as a sprint, and in the longer sections I'd just try and maintain as high a speed as I could. If I got home and had to lean against the wall of my mum and dad's house whilst still on the bike for a bit before I could get off it, then I judged I'd done it hard enough.

I did then used to lie on the floor of my room for 20 minutes and then have a shower, mind you. If your school is like the one I taught in then that isn't really an option - but 30 minutes is plenty of time to get fit if you ride as hard as you can. Remember Greg LeMond - it doesn't get easier, you just go faster :smile:

Top Bottom