Giant Defy Advanced Pro Components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Hi All,

Looking for some guidance. I have the below bike which following advice on this same forum a couple of months back i have decided to keep it. I'm looking at some upgrade options to either save some weight or just to spend some money on some new shiny parts. I have already replaced the wheels and tyres with a set of 4-season hunts and continental tyres.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/defy-advanced-pro-3-2016

I am looking to replace the bars, seat post and saddle, however, looking online at the weight of the seat post and the saddle they already appear to be quite light (below from what i can see from Google searches). I was wondering if anyone else had anything to back up the below as looking online for replacements from a weight perspective they seem quite similar to the below items delivered from the factory and to be honest the saddle isnt causing me any un-comfort. Should i even bother replacing this, will i really notice a huge difference by spending somewhere around £100 for a saddle and the same plus some for a seat post.

Also, does anyone have any data around the handlebars that come from the factory? I am struggling to find this on-line.

Current weight of Giant D-Fuse SL Composite = 212 Grams
Current weight of Contact SL Neutral saddle = 210 Grams

Any advice and guidance will be much appreciated - I dont want to spend money / tinker for the hell of it i genuinely enjoy riding the bike but just have a bit of an itch to replace some of the stock components. Should i just save the pennies up and blow it all on a new / different set of wheels..??

Thanks in advance, as always.
Dan

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you just want to spend money on cycling then buy another bike, ideally a different type. Failing that, book a cycling holiday somewhere. You honestly won't notice anything different by changing your components further other than a lighter wallet.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you've only had the bike a couple of months, why do you need shiny new parts already?

Put some new tape and some snazzy carbon bottle cages on? Carbon pedals? New fancy shoes?

There seems little point in changing bars or stems if the current ones are the right size. And don't mess with the saddle if it's comfortable

vickster

Legendary Member
@Milkfloat I must confess I had not even thought of a different bike..

@vickster I have had the bike since new but i was thinking about changing it a couple of months back.

@Cycleops My wife and child take every penny...maybe less layers of clothes will have the same desired impact.
Why do you want to change it? How long have you had it? An Ultegra groupset would take a few grams off but at a cost, dura ace more weight loss but much more cost

If the family need your cash, why are you so keen to spend it on the bike

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Tyres? You can often save a few grams by upgrading the tyres and tubes.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I would have thought a £2,000 bike should be light enough as is. A couple of grams here and there won't make any difference and if it doesn't already have decent equipment fitted, why is it £2,000?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Any advice and guidance will be much appreciated - I dont want to spend money / tinker for the hell of it i genuinely enjoy riding the bike but just have a bit of an itch to replace some of the stock components. Should i just save the pennies up and blow it all on a new / different set of wheels..??

Thanks in advance, as always.
Dan

Hmmm - a bit of a contradiction there methinks. :smile:

That's a very nice bike you have there. :thumbsup:

Absolute madness changing the parts that you mention. :wacko:

Just enjoy riding a bike that a lot of people could only dream of owning.

Top Bottom