Gilet stuck zip tip!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I recently bought a Sundried gilet which I am generally very pleased with but there is one problem with it which has been driving me to distraction. The gilet has small flaps either side of the zip which close over it. They improve the appearance of the garment and must help with wind-proofing it. The problem is that I kept getting the zip slider stuck when the flaps got caught under it. It was a bit tricky taking gilet selfies but this sort of illustrates the problem...

Zip against body.jpg

You can't see the slider but you can see that the flaps are covering the teeth of the zip and the material is getting tugged down. That was using my instinctive zipping action, which was to pull the zip up and down pressed against my body.

I couldn't understand how an apparently well-designed garment could be produced without anybody at the company noticing the problem. I thought about it, and wondered whether they were using the zip differently...? :whistle:

Then it struck me - try pulling the zip away from the body as it was being raised or lowered. I tried that technique...

Zip away from body.jpg

Eureka! You can clearly see in that photo that the flaps are being opened up, well away from the slider.

I have tried it scores of times now... The old technique jammed the zip about 3 times out of 4. The new technique hasn't jammed the zip at all. It means I can now adjust the gilet one-handed as I am riding along, which I could not do before.

Some of you may find this useful? Let me know below if it does. Or if you are in the 99% of the population who already knew this technique but had never bothered to tell me about it! :laugh:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
That sort of thing's a right pain. A good tip to overcome it.

I have issues with gilets/jackets I haven't used in a while where the zip slider corrodes a little then becomes difficult to operate.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have issues with gilets/jackets I haven't used in a while where the zip slider corrodes a little then becomes difficult to operate.

Yes, I've had that one too. I found this tip, which sounds like it should help...

I can be a lazy so and so.

After I last wore my neoprene overshoes last winter I just chucked them in a cupboard and forgot about them. Of course the roads are salty in the winter and, guess what, when I've come to get them out of the cupboard both zips are completely immovable.

No amount of pulling and yanking had any effect. Around the metal bit of the zip was some white residue, presumably from the interaction between the salt and the metal.

So I started googling. And I finally found a scuba diving website. Obviously they have similar problems what with diving in the salty sea. They suggested the following....

1) Soak overnight in warm water to dissolve as much salt as possible. Then rinse
2) ....and here's the weird bit.....liberally douse the zip in vinegar

So I did (1)...absolutely no effect at all. The zips were just as stuck as they were before. Then I did (2)...and amazingly the zips, with a bit of pulling, started working fine. Just rinse, dry and then I'll probably put a bit of grease on them

So thanks Scuba Divers, you've avoided me having to buy a new pair of overshoes

GuyBoden

Guru
Graphite is the best zip lube.

But, I would imagine it might get the clothing dirty.

I use graphite on locks. Pencil lead really..................

Good zip tip @ColinJ thanks:okay:

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That sort of thing's a right pain. A good tip to overcome it.

Funny you should mention that. Last night I freed up four corroded zips on an old rucksack, by using a bit of light oil, a screwdriver and a bit of brute force.

I was feeling quite pleased with myself at having resurrected a perfectly good rucksack, then I realised that the reason it had been cast aside to sit corroding in the garage for years was because one of the straps was broken. Doh.

Still, the break is only a plastic buckle, so I've ordered a replacement from amazon.

Top Bottom