gloves in summer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiewill

is it me or is it a lot more comphier (spelling?) without gloves in the summer? Im probably more likely to get blisters but the bars feel a lot nicer without gloves.

chrisuren

Comfier..;)

It's up to you if you wear gloves in the summer, and it also depends on what type of ride you're going on.

:tongue:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I forgot to put mine on this morning and only realised as I set off; at that point I decided that I couldn't be @rsed walking back up 5 flights of stairs to get them, so I went without.

I felt very naked :wacko:

And I found my hands slipping on the bars in the rain, which was a novel experience and not what you want to feel as you hit a bump in traffic...

asterix

Comrade Member
Never wear them except if it's cold in winter. Nasty, smelly things.. When I used to sail a lot I didn't wear gloves either as hands soon harden up and only an idiot gets rope burn. Mind you one guy I sailed with got his finger squeezed off, surging a rope.. Gloves wouldn't have done any good!

I wear them during the day when I am doing some types of building work.

asterix said:
Never wear them except if it's cold in winter. Nasty, smelly things.. When I used to sail a lot I didn't wear gloves either as hands soon harden up and only an idiot gets rope burn. Mind you one guy I sailed with got his finger squeezed off, surging a rope.. Gloves wouldn't have done any good!

Understand the view re hardening hands up to various types of manual work (i.e. when sailing etc.) but I've yet to come across a rider with thick enough skin on their palms to adequately prevent serious injury when they come off.....I've ruined a few pairs of "smelly" mitts over the years when my bike handling skills let me down (or a sh*t driver took me offxx()....rather them than my hands;)

Mortiroloboy

Uncle Mort said:
Nah, I always wear them. What if I fall off? I prefer to retain my skin...

Phixion said:
Always wear gloves ;)

Getting layers of your skin scraped off against the road hurts :thumbsup:

Kestevan said:
Noooooooo

Got to wear gloves or mittens.. riding "naked" is just plain wrong ;)

I always wear mitts in summer or full fingered gloves in Winter, for all of the above reasons, plus they help with damping road vibration.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I wear them. Same reason as has been said, would rather my gloves go then the skin on my palms. Also, they wipe the snot away from my nose better when i had a cold.
They do smell though, even with regular washing, so i sprey them with Fabreze and have the smell of spring every time i scratch my face and put a fingure on my nose to rocket.;)

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
asterix said:

I hope you wear shorts:ohmy:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've only just started wearing mits again this summer - mostly because I commute and the impact risk is more..... but I've also come off without mits on in the past and it's not good.....

Personal thing again..... !

Top Bottom