Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dim

I bought a pair of 'Freezer Gloves from a charity shop for £2 .... they are supposed to be good for -25 degrees C and the label says they are waterproof

I will try them when it gets cold (I only bought them recently).

I have a pair of hi-viz gloves that I bought off ebay last year and used them during the winter..... they are warm, and water proof, the only problem is that they start stinking very bad after a while

On another forum, guys who live in the USA in parts where it gets very cold, swear by using mits that are lined with merino wool

Slick

Guru
I've never found any that are entirely waterproof, even if they claim to be.

When I was a kid and went out to play in the snow we used to put on Marigolds under our mittens to keep our hands dry.

This might not be the most useful post I've made today.

Far from it, I rode a jet ski all year round in the Irish Sea and used the same marigolds under the neoprene trick during the winter. It was more for the windchill as obviously the neoprene was supposed to let some water through.

Lee_M

Guru
i have worn my endura gloves in all weathers and torrential downpours and they've never let a drop in

david k

Hi
I bought some brilliant waterproof over gloves

Well they were for a short time, the water simply run down inside them, rendering them baggy, heavy and wet!

When I let go of the handlebars they feel off

They are waterproof though :rolleyes:

OP
OP
I

indi

Regular
Thank you everyone for offering your suggestions and advice. Plenty here to help me.

Really appreciate it.

'Mon the winter!

GlenBen

Über Member
I'll put in abother vote for castelli diluvio. Not waterproof at all, but they are plenty warm enough for me all year commuting.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I was looking through my box of winter bike and motorbike gloves today. It is a BIG box. Full of every type of winter glove you can think of.

Every glove I have ever tried has either let water in or have become damp through my hands sweating. Once the wind then gets at the damp gloves you are snookered.

Adding moisture by itself is not a problem. I rode around all September with warm, damp hands. I actually carry a pair of neoprene kayaking gloves if it is going to be rainy weather in the summer. My hands get wet but they stay very warm.

To keep my hands dry and warm in Winter i wear a base layer of very thin liner gloves. I then have a large pair of gore tex, fleece lined mittens. Mittens are better than gloves because the heat from the fingers keep each other warm. The liner gloves are so thin that they dont hamper the heat transfer. The mittens are bigger than you expect to allow circulation. If you have them tight they will create dampness.

On top of them is something I have not seen another cyclist wearing and yet its the best bit of winter gear I have bought for years. It is a pair of military overmitts which I bought off ebay for about a tenner. They are like a camo, gauntlet, mitten which goes half way up my arm. They keep my hands dry and the wind off them.

The trick is not wrapping your hands tight and keeping the wind off them.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/DPM-MITTENS-...-ISSUE-/262650886371?var=&hash=item3d273678e3

We get down to -20 in Denmark and I ride all the year round. My hands are never a problem.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
https://www.equinesuperstore.co.uk/...fCOl_fkH-_twP9xbyYAcaMCq0uD8SbaLe8aAmHY8P8HAQ

I use magic gloves, usually £1 on our market, underneath ordinary cycling gloves. These aren't waterproof so latex gloves underneath if very wet. The big advantage is they are small and carrying extra pairs is easy.

Tried a number of brands of wind/waterproof gloves. None have proved truly waterproof, when it's wet, it's wet!!! I also find the double lined gloves make my hands sweat and unless I'm really careful when taking them off the lining gets twisted and it's impossible to get them in again.

Top Bottom