Going Di2 as an amateur cyclist - is there any tangible value in it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

Di2 is amazing but personally I can't justify spending the money and adding the weight when traditional cable Ultegra is so good and so easy to fettle.

Given a choice I would spend my money on a good frame with 105 or Ultegra then gradually upgrade it with better groupset and wheels as time goes by, which is exactly what I've done with my Roubaix Comp.
Really? There's only 100g or so in it. 100ml less in a bidon and that's sorted. And whats all this about having to justify stuff? if you want it, and can afford it, then buy it ^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
Only 100 grams?

Rushes off to find the piggy bank.

bpsmith

Veteran
Would love eTap myself but couldn’t bring myself to mix brands. Stuck with Ultegra for my Power Meter. Not that it’s a chore mind you!

Once wireless Ultegra Di2 shows up, I am in without question. :smile:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I've been quoted about 1k to upgrade to ultegra Di2 on my TT bike . That's a fair few trip suits or a new rear disk , other things that will make me faster or add more comfort to my riding .
I noticed the other day while in the LBS that the new Di2 wont let you make a bad gear change . I cant help thinking that would lose me time in a TT . I want to spin up and then grind it , not piss about going through gear changes . I must add i'm no good at TT ^_^

400bhp

Guru
Campag EPS is better.:okay:

It's good if you suffer any RSI from gear changing which is probably unlikely unless you're doing monster distances.

Potentially less servicing of gear cable replacement and trim.

Pain in the arris when it doesn't work.

gbs

Guru
I think Di2 is nice but not neccessary. Be aware that set up must ensure that there is adequate scope in the cable to allow the handlebars to flop L and R without restraint. My original setup did not do that. After a Pyrennean valley cafe stop and an accidental flop when moving the bike around chairs loosened the cable fron the control box and so I lost the ability to shift gears. Given my lack of competence and ability to diagnose I had to find a suitable repair shop in Pau 35k away on the day before a major public holiday in France.

KISS is the way to go unless you have technical competence.

Last edited:

Alex H

Legendary Member
Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
Yes, tangible benefits are:
You don't worry about cable stretch.

Some people say they don't want to be stuck in the middle of no where and the battery runs out. I guess these same people may get stuck in a car when the fuel runs out coz they didn't top things up.

Edit: grrr who should I blame, the spell checker or myself?

Last edited:
U

User33236

I think Di2 is nice but not neccessary. Be aware that set up must ensure that there is adequate scope in the cable to allow the handlebars to flop L and R without restraint. My original setup did not do that and after a Pyrennean valley cafe stop and an accidental flop when moving the bike around chairs I lost the ability to shift gears. Given my lack of competence and ability to diagnose I had to find a suitable repair shop in Pau 35k away on the day before a major public holiday in France.

KISS is the way to go unless you have technical competence.
Who did the setup? I've done two myself and had no issue. One bike bought new with Di2 had to be slightly adjusted till I was happy there'd be no cable pull.

Top Bottom