Going Di2 as an amateur cyclist - is there any tangible value in it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've been quoted about 1k to upgrade to ultegra Di2 on my TT bike . That's a fair few trip suits or a new rear disk , other things that will make me faster or add more comfort to my riding .
I noticed the other day while in the LBS that the new Di2 wont let you make a bad gear change . I cant help thinking that would lose me time in a TT . I want to spin up and then grind it , not piss about going through gear changes . I must add i'm no good at TT ^_^
1k.......someones pulling your pilsner

It can be done a hell of a lot cheaper than that..........my di2 set-up was less than 500

Mech 185
Battery 85
Junction control 55
Switcher 50
3 cables @20 each

435..............add a front mech at 165, TT switchers at 85 and thats it so around £680

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
1k.......someones pulling your pilsner

It can be done a hell of a lot cheaper than that..........my di2 set-up was less than 500

Mech 185
Battery 85
Junction control 55
Switcher 50
3 cables @20 each

435..............add a front mech at 165, TT switchers at 85 and thats it so around £680
I was quoted for the new R8000 with brake levers and shifters ( that i wont need )

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I think you're closer to £900 once you add a charger and the brakes/shifters and thats using discontinued items , shopping around and not including postage .

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
I think it's a luxury, if ypu don't buy DI2 you'll aleays have that niggling thought in the back of your mind that you should have!.
Aye - primary consideration right now is future proofing the next big buy... don't want to go ultegra and wonder what might have been in a years time...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, tangible benefits are:
You don't worry about cable stretch.

I don't worry about cable stretch! Cables don't stretch but new cable outers do settle especially if the ends weren't ground flat or the ferrules weren't properly fitted. My summer best bike was built up by a competent mechanic called Anthony at Ride On in Rawtenstall and I just jumped on it, rode it and didnt need to adjust anything at all except the brakes as they wore. Amazing really.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Hanging Top flight kit on a mid range frame won't make the mid range frame any better.
Merlin source their frames from Ridley, as far as I'm aware.
I looked into this when my missus wanted a carbon road bike. In the end she had a custom built Ridley from our LBS (ok - cost more, but she got exactly what she wanted). Nowt wrong with Ridley, they make some high end stuff.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Actually I test-rode two or three Di2 bikes last Sunday at the Cyclist magazine track day at York and have to say that I found the shifters confusing. In mitts you can feel the textures of the shifters but I think that in winter gloves I might find them annoying. It was a relief to get back on a bike with traditional cables.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Actually I test-rode two or three Di2 bikes last Sunday at the Cyclist magazine track day at York and have to say that I found the shifters confusing. In mitts you can feel the textures of the shifters but I think that in winter gloves I might find them annoying. It was a relief to get back on a bike with traditional cables.
What confused you about the shifters?

Surely pressing a button isnt that confusing

Globalti

Legendary Member
What confused you about the shifters?

Surely pressing a button isnt that confusing

In the space of about 5 hours you can ride a dozen different bikes with a variety of different shifting systems. No doubt you would very quickly grow used to Di2 and it would become as intuitive as cable but I had trouble differentiating between the upshift and the downshift paddles.

jiberjaber

Veteran
In the space of about 5 hours you can ride a dozen different bikes with a variety of different shifting systems. No doubt you would very quickly grow used to Di2 and it would become as intuitive as cable but I had trouble differentiating between the upshift and the downshift paddles.

If you think about in terms of what a mechanical lever does then they operate the same (unless they've been changed, which they can be).

So on a mechanical, the big lever in the front goes to lower gears on the back, the little lever behind that goes to harder higher gears, the buttons are in the same place and do the same function... once you think about it that way it becomes easier... my biggest issue (I went from DI2 to mechanical for a while) was not trying to snap off my DI2 lever when I wanted to change gear!

Globalti

Legendary Member
A bit like swapping to an auto box after a lifetime driving a manual. Even after 3 years of DSG I still sometimes get flummoxed.

Top Bottom