Going to convert Fixed Speed Raleigh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Hi all,

Newbie here, going to refurb and restore a fixie Raleigh (believe it's 1980s) to a freewheeler

Any advice on refurbing? Or pointing me in the right direction?
Want to do it myself as I have an emotional attachment to the frame lol!

- need a new seat
- new tyres and possibly wheels
- grip

apb

Veteran
Hi and welcome

I converted an old Raleigh to a fixie. I did plenty of research to get a good chain line.

The biggest headache i had was the bottom bracket. Raleigh use to make the whole bike, hence they used their own 26 tpi on the threading of the BB, the standard being 24 tpi. But sometime in the 80s they started to use 3rd party components and hence moved to 24 tpi. That's just something to look out for, though i suspect mine is 24 tpi

In the end the threading was to worn and i had to use a threadless bottom bracket. I bought a cheap one that kept loosening, even after using threadlock 243. Loving the frame so much i bought Velo Orange Grand Cru threadless BB. and now i have a perfect bike.

Good luck with your build, i'd be interested in seeing the result.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Could we have some pics? Are we to understand you just want to put a freewheel on rather than the fixed you have now rather than fit gears? You might not be able to post pics directly as you may have too few posts so put them on a link to a photo sharing site like Flickr.

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Yeah dude, I'll put some pics up when I get home.

Essentially yes, I would like to put in a freewheel. But again, not adverse to keeping the fixie style going.
How many posts do I need in order to put pics up?

I'm here for the long run on the forum lol!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think you need about ten posts. It would be possible to have a flip-flop arrangement ,a fixed on one side and a freewheel on the other so you can flip from one to the other. Someone should be along soon who can tell you exactly what is involved.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Depending on the type of hub you have now you should be able to spin a single speed freewheel cog straight on in place of the fixed cog. It would be advisable to run two brakes if your not already.
Tyres are easily available and cheap enough even in 27"
The charge spoon saddle gets good reviews more or less everywhere.

Bottom bracket issues have been mentioned, I kept the original cups on mine and just replaced bearings and spindle. It was a good way to learn. Being and 80's frame yours will possibly be standard fitting anyway:tongue:

windym

I would first check the serial numbers as Raleigh made a few specials during the 80,s this may be one of them, if so leave alone and check it's value.

Andy

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
I would first check the serial numbers as Raleigh made a few specials during the 80,s this may be one of them, if so leave alone and check it's value.

Andy

Cheers man, I'll have a gander tonight, need to clean the garage out first and wait for a spot of sun between all this horrendous weather!

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Here is my thread: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-first-project.148842/

Although I went for single speed, not fixed.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Good luck with your conversion, I spent some years riding fixed but eventually went single speed, just as good but more relaxing to ride, I think.
(My Felt is on here somewhere under the post a picture thread.)

Top Bottom