Going up 1p at a time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I remember when it to a pound a gallon!

I can remember filling my moped up for less than 50p and it use to last me a week

Brandane

Legendary Member
Give it a week or two, and the media will be shouting about a "price war" when Asda cut 1p off a litre.
I don't blame the oil companies who do a fine job of exploring for oil, getting it out of the seabed/rocks etc., transporting it to a refinery, turning it into petrol/diesel, transporting it to a petrol station; and all for much less per litre than bottled water or carbonated drinks. It's the chancellor who whacks on duty, then VAT on duty (!!) which makes the stuff so expensive.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Ahhh, remember nostalgia .....

Reactions: gbb
And meanwhile the car manufacturers meet in dark corners to decide when they will allow the technology they developed years ago to be seen to progress another painful step, and plot the downfall of those that aren't in the club that say they can go petrol/diesel free now.

screenman

Legendary Member
Give it a week or two, and the media will be shouting about a "price war" when Asda cut 1p off a litre.
I don't blame the oil companies who do a fine job of exploring for oil, getting it out of the seabed/rocks etc., transporting it to a refinery, turning it into petrol/TuT
udiesel, transporting it to a petrol station; and all for much less per litre than bottled water or carbonated drinks. It's the chancellor who whacks on duty, then VAT on duty (!!) which makes the stuff so expensive.

If they do not get the tax income there it may have to go on something else.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yes but if 1000 people a day decided to cycle to work within a few years the government would be losing taxes.

It wouldn't be spending as much on caring for its citizens though, with all the savings from: the reduced number of collisions (where each casualty in a fatal RTC costs in the region of £1,840,000), improved mental health, improved air quality, so fewer premature deaths related to that, better work attendance, etc.

I'll quote now from cyclinguk.org...

"In England, physical inactivity causes around 37,000 preventable premature deaths p.a. amongst people aged 40-79. In 2015, there were 525,000 admissions in NHS hospitals where obesity was recorded as a factor.
In England (2015), over one in five children in Reception, and over one in three children in Year 6 were measured as obese or overweight.
Without action, 60% of men, 50% of women and 25% of children could be obese by 2050 in the UK, at a cost of £10 billion p.a. to the NHS."​

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
When people are ditching their stupid suvs, start driving at 60mph on the motorway, get their kids to wal;k to school etc, then I'll believe that fuel is expensive

The thing that really winds me up is seeing them sitting in their stupid monster SUVs in Tesco's car park with the engine running. I want to go up and knock on the window and ask "Isn't fuel expensive enough for you?" but I doubt they'd get it.

Top Bottom