Got swore at today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Trillian said:
someone did that to me once, but left it too late when jumping out so i swerved to miss him but both wheels went over his foot over his foot (was on my mtb)

had a narrow bridge (cycle lane) blocked by 'chav's' who were going to stop me

pausing pedaling, looking up and shouting "my brakes don't work" and starting pedaling again sorted that one out ;)

You need to be a bit careful about that; it's what that Jason Howard bloke did. (Allegedly.)

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Idiot jogger, jogging along the cycle bit of the clearly divided and signposted, cycle and pedestrian path. Rang my bell to let him know I was about to come past him and so that we didn't collide, and then he screams 'WHAT!' at me as I went past like it was my fault he was running in the wrong bit - what a prize plonker! (actually I'd like to choose far stronger words :biggrin: !!!)

He'd have been screaming a lot more had he ran into my path and I'd taken him out...

...wish I'd taken him out anyway now. Grrrrr

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Joggers and dog walkers on (shared) cycle paths are more often then not complete arses for some reason. On the Waterlink Way in South East London, I had to go off path when 2 joggers refused to move over even though they could see I was coming, the person I was cycling with heard one of them say "Why should we move over". This was said within 2 feet of a painted cycle sign on the path.

Had a right one yesterday – didn’t get it on camera though – car overtakes on left hand bend on approach to lights (that just happen to be red) – got front wheels level with me and then started moving left, cutting me up into the kerb. I squeezed the breaks on and shouted a “wheyyyyy”. Pulled up next to his open driver window at lights and he did that pretending you’re not there stare ahead.
I really politely pointed out the he’d cut me up and he started muttering something – so I said, again really politely and with a smile, something about giving each other respect and space etc – that was it – got a big mouthful of abuse – something about “being in his f***ing way” and all about what he’ll do next time he sees me etc. I smiled and laughed. Funny thing was I was easily twice the size of the chav.
So I carried on smiling and told him to stop threatening to “do me in” the next time he sees me and asked him why he didn’t just have a go at “doing me in” right now. (Ok, I might have removed the old d-lock from my handle bars while I spoke, but I said it with a big smile) – he took off pretty sharpish before the lights changed.

Being in a car gives such bullies a real false sense of security and it never ceases to amuse me how easily they crumble and run away when you call their bluff…

OP
OP
pes

pes

dondare said:
He's a knob, simple as that.
(That's knob with a "k", not nob with an "n". Knob withakay means penis and nobwithannen means toff.)*

*One for the pedants.

Oh.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I find laughing at them like a complete loony works.

They build up their aggression enough to swear at you and are expecting you to react likewise. You riding off into the distance, screaming wth laughter, whilst simultaneously doing the ubiquitous 'w*anker' hand signal, does a first class job of pulling the rug from under their 'street-cred'

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Many years ago when I was at college there was an older lad that would ride a pretty naff road bike. All legal and that but not the best made or the nicest looking imo. I always remember asking him why he wore his chain and padlock into class as I'd presumed he'd need it for his bike.

He confessed it wasnt for the bike but for defence. Two cars had cut him up badly and he'd swung this thing like a mace into their rear window, probably smashing the hell out of it.:smile:

I've had a few "run ins" myself. I dont ride primary unless theres a pinch point, but I dont ride the gutter either tbh. I dont ride slow or particularly slow down traffic. Yet the way some people behave is shocking. I try never to respond with swearing or hand gestures.

I had a DHL van driver pull out on me last second 2 years back, screached on the breaks and shouted "Are you trying to kill me!?" The guy puts it in reverse and comes right at me, luckily I was turning left at that point (it was a cross roads). He's hammering on his horn shouting obscenities (at 6.45am too, so must have woken the neighbourhood).

I could go on. Loads have happened. Theres no need for it, people should just be nice and behave imo.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
downfader said:
Many years ago when I was at college there was an older lad that would ride a pretty naff road bike. All legal and that but not the best made or the nicest looking imo. I always remember asking him why he wore his chain and padlock into class as I'd presumed he'd need it for his bike.

He confessed it wasnt for the bike but for defence. Two cars had cut him up badly and he'd swung this thing like a mace into their rear window, probably smashing the hell out of it.:smile:

I've had a few "run ins" myself. I dont ride primary unless theres a pinch point, but I dont ride the gutter either tbh. I dont ride slow or particularly slow down traffic. Yet the way some people behave is shocking. I try never to respond with swearing or hand gestures.

I had a DHL van driver pull out on me last second 2 years back, screached on the breaks and shouted "Are you trying to kill me!?" The guy puts it in reverse and comes right at me, luckily I was turning left at that point (it was a cross roads). He's hammering on his horn shouting obscenities (at 6.45am too, so must have woken the neighbourhood).

I could go on. Loads have happened. Theres no need for it, people should just be nice and behave imo.

I would love to do that thing with the chain, but am scared I would actualy hurt some one with it!

I agree with all the above comments politeness is getting rare these days, Has any one had to travel on buses recently? I've witnessed verbal abuse on little old ladies on there which has made me sick quite honestly.!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
djtheglove said:
...I've witnessed verbal abuse on little old ladies on there which has made me sick quite honestly.!

Oh no! Not the little old ladies???
Not the same ones who simply push their trolley into you at the supermarket, rather than say "Excuse me"? Not the same ones who try to shoulder you out of the way at the bar, then as soon as the bar staff ask "Who's next?" start screaming to be served, despite the fact that they know damn well you were there before them which is why they tried to shove you out of the way in the first place?
Oh, boo-flinkin-hoo. They're as guilty of bad manners as every other git out there.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Landslide said:
Oh no! Not the little old ladies???
Not the same ones who simply push their trolley into you at the supermarket, rather than say "Excuse me"? Not the same ones who try to shoulder you out ?of the way at the bar, then as soon as the bar staff ask "Who's next?" start screaming to be served, despite the fact that they know damn well you were there before them which is why they tried to shove you out of the way in the first place?
Oh, boo-flinkin-hoo. They're as guilty of bad manners as every other git out there.

Judging by that response I take it you're in your 70s then? ;)

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm amazed at all these tales. In over 25 years as a competitive runner doing over 2,000 miles a year and now cycling for four years, I can only remember three incidents of abuse of any kind and the last one must have been ten years ago!

I did get an apple hit me in the ribs (very painful) from a moving car but I did enough to ensure they will think very carefully about doing that again.

Another time, one dark Christmas Eve, I was running along when a car slowed behind me. Thinking they wanted directions, I leaned into the car and was shot by an air pistol! I took a top stone of the adjacent dry stone wall and lobbed it through the rear window. The driver slammed on and gun boy tried to get out but I was on it too quickly and booted the door onto his emerging leg! The driver sped off and I changed my route for a few weeks but never heard another thing about that.

Since cycling though, apart from one or two trivial incidents, nothing.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
PaulB said:
I'm amazed at all these tales. In over 25 years as a competitive runner doing over 2,000 miles a year and now cycling for four years, I can only remember three incidents of abuse of any kind and the last one must have been ten years ago!

I did get an apple hit me in the ribs (very painful) from a moving car but I did enough to ensure they will think very carefully about doing that again.

Another time, one dark Christmas Eve, I was running along when a car slowed behind me. Thinking they wanted directions, I leaned into the car and was shot by an air pistol! I took a top stone of the adjacent dry stone wall and lobbed it through the rear window. The driver slammed on and gun boy tried to get out but I was on it too quickly and booted the door onto his emerging leg! The driver sped off and I changed my route for a few weeks but never heard another thing about that.

Since cycling though, apart from one or two trivial incidents, nothing.

Theres a guy I sometimes get into arguments with about this. Where he cycles (off road mtb I think) he doesnt get any grief and so assumes we're making this lot up.

I suppose it depends on where you live and what times you're on the bike? ;)

Top Bottom