Greedy much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The most I paid for a gig ticket was this year to see the Pet Shop Boys in Hong Kong. 125 quid for the front row and it was worth it. However, gigs in HK do tend to be more pricey than anywhere else for some bizarre reason. I think Ianrauk could maybe explain.

Putting on shows is a minefield when it comes to cost. In a nutshell, the venue charges the promoter a fee to put on a show, (On a side note the venue usually get to keep bar and food takings and for the bigger venues a percentage of merch sales, which can very profitable, but that's another story).
So ticket prices take into account venue hire fee. Which pays for the venue hire, venue insurance, backline ( staff, security, stage, backstage, cleaners etc). That usually works out about 20% of the ticket price. So 80% will be split between the promoter and the artist. Which is usually decided per show or tour basis or as contractual. We try to get at least 20-25% of the 80% leaving the rest for the artist.
The actual cost of the ticket is worked out to what the promoter, venue and artist think they can charge and their fans will pay.
Madge fans will pay that amount of money and despite what anyone says on here, I'll bet you 100% the shows will sell out. She's what's called a 'heritage' act. An act to see before either you or she's dies, and people will pay for the privilege. Especially as the London Palladium is in effect a small more intimate gig for an artist that usually only plays stadium and arena shows.

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Each to their own. What is it about the her earlier concerts you went to you didn't enjoy?

I've just shelled our £400 on new wheels and tyres and my other half thinks that a rediculous amount of money.

My other half has been to every tour she has done in this country and in Europe. Got a huge tatoo on his arm.

I'm sure he said that there were also tickets around £100. Got to remember she is playing the London Palladium (i think thats it) not the O2 so a much smaller audience hence large number of nights.

I've seen Madonna once before, at Wembley Arena during the Confessions Tour and that was awesome. My beef is that someone with the wealth she has should not be charging that amount for tickets, regardless of the venue. I would say the same for U2. who I've always wanted to see but when they started selling tickets for their Joshua Tree tour for Singapore, I was planning to make a long weekend of it from here in HK, they wanted over 300 quid! U2 are minted. Again, Rolling Stones, huge amounts of money. These are some of the richest people in the music industry (Bono is worth about $600 million, Madonna, as I mentioned, about $500 million) and this is just greed, pure and simple.

AndyRM

XOXO
Nope, no-one is but it doesn't stop me, or anyone else, questioning the prices.

Well, no. And it's not a gig I'd pay that much for, but there's obviously a market there, so...

winjim

Smash the cistern
If it was something aimed at kids I'd feel it was too much, but Madonna fans must be in their 40s at least so presumably they're grown up enough to either see through it, afford to pay for it, or get over the disappointment.

MarkF

Guru
My eldest son just sold a pair of trainers on EBay for.......£600, to me, that makes the concert tickets for a bone fide star, look reasonable.

Top Bottom