Hand Built Wheels Update - £20 per wheel building service to CC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Back in august, I had an unfortunate incident with a local pothole resulting in 2 instant deflations and on returning home, a slightly bent rear rim. I had been tinkering with the idea of a new set of wheels for a while and this was the clincher. A conversation with friendly Ricardo quickly led me asking him to build a new pair. They were collected recently and the result is beautiful, to my eyes.
A few days later and I have been out for a couple of rides. To my mind, they feel stiffer, quicker under acceleration and roll better. Of course, this could all be in my imagination or just because I have not ridden the ti bike for a while!
Regardless, I am very happy with the result.

His pix:

And mine:
H+Son - front 161017.JPG H+Son - rear 161017.JPG

I would highly recommend @Spoked Wheels and would happily use his services again.

p.s. might the Mods consider changing the thread title to '... for a nominal charge' or something similar instead of '...for free'. Still an absolute bargain!

vickster

Legendary Member
He did build mine for free :okay:

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I'm amazed not more CCers are taking you up on your generous offer. The results sound fantastic.

Having crashed thru one of the council's better potholes the other night, suffering instant double punctures in both front and rear tyres and noticing a bent rim on the rear when I returned home, I'm in the market for a new set for wheels for my road bike. What info do you require from me to start the process?

You would be surprised to learn how many people judge a free build service as not worth taking :smile:

CC members only, £20 per wheel. No markup components or funny deals.

Cheers

Ricardo.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hi @Cuchilo,

As racing wheels they are very good. They aren't cheap but if you can afford them then yes.

They have thought about the little things that can make a difference. They are racing wheels but they were designed and built with durability and reliability in mind. Of course, they will never be as durable and reliable as a touring wheel ;) but for a racing wheel then I think they raised the bar to the rest of the competition.

They use standard Sapim CX-Ray spokes that you can obtain off the shelf and brass nipples. So, if you brake a spoke you can source one quite easily at a resonable cost..... no more alloy nipples......

I don't know much about the hubs but I remember reading they were designed to maximise the bracing angle.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Hi @Cuchilo,

As racing wheels they are very good. They aren't cheap but if you can afford them then yes.

They have thought about the little things that can make a difference. They are racing wheels but they were designed and built with durability and reliability in mind. Of course, they will never be as durable and reliable as a touring wheel ;) but for a racing wheel then I think they raised the bar to the rest of the competition.

They use standard Sapim CX-Ray spokes that you can obtain off the shelf and brass nipples. So, if you brake a spoke you can source one quite easily at a resonable cost..... no more alloy nipples......

I don't know much about the hubs but I remember reading they were designed to maximise the bracing angle.
Thanks mate . Ive been offered some rims at a nice price so having them built up . 90 front 90 rear . May get a 50 front built if the nice prices continue .

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Hi Ricardo @Spoked Wheels ,

Could you do me a quote for a bomb-proof rear 700c wheel suitable for 23mm tyres? I am not too worried about weight but it needs to stand up to a lot of utility cycling including towing a bike trailer and toddler.

Cheers,

Chris

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hi Ricardo @Spoked Wheels ,

Could you do me a quote for a bomb-proof rear 700c wheel suitable for 23mm tyres? I am not too worried about weight but it needs to stand up to a lot of utility cycling including towing a bike trailer and toddler.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I sure can.

Can you please PM me more details of what you need, what type of hubs do you currently use ie with brake disc, your colour preference, your budget, etc.

Thank you

Ricardo

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hey @Spoked Wheels, do you still do this?

Hi there,

Thanks for the post.

I'm not doing this at the moment, problems with my hands but I had to build some wheels for my grandson and hands were OK so I might make a come back one day.... George Foreman style in his 50's ^_^ ....well I wish it was in my 50's :laugh:

I'll update the thread as if and when I do.

Thank you again.

Top Bottom