handlebars on fixed and track bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bonj2

my concern is that if you lop off the DT braze ons then it'll be left with a hole.
will it not?
I'd want to keep the bottle cage bosses.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

it definitely looks like the seat post clamp is part of the frame! look at the 6th photo down (where he's got his calor gas and bbq in the background) - it's just a bolt that goes through two lugs that are part of the seat tube!

OP
OP
B

bonj2

can you get like metal filler, that you can use like polyfilla but that powder coating will cover?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Most DT lever bosses are simply brazed onto the outside of the frame tube. Soften the brass with your oxy-acetylene torch, pull the boss off and file away any remaining brass and you're done.

I've come across some on cheap frames which are spot-welded. These need to be ground off and then all traces of the weld carefully filed away.

This is a 531 frame, though, and too thin and delicate to be welded, so it won't have spot welds.

Some bosses fit into holes in the frame tube, but the holes are smaller than the external part of the boss. Same procedure; soften the brass and pull out the boss. Fill the remaining hole with brass.

(Liquid brass is quite clingy, and forms nice curves and miniscuses, so that's not as hard as it sounds. This is pretty much how lugged-and-brazed frames are built: the molten brass creeps into the tiny gap between the frame and the lug, filling it completely and alloying with the hot steel to make a very strong joing. Fillet-brazed frames require a slightly different technique, where the brass provides some strength by forming a fillet around the joint as well as filling the microscopic space between them - but again, the clinginess of the brass makes it form quite nice fillets without too much trouble, given a bit of skill on the part of the brazier. Any unevenness is filed away when it's cool. Anyway, where was I?...)

Oh, yes, then carefully file away any excess until it's flush. Brass is softer than steel, so that's not hard to do.

The scars of any of the above operations are more than adequately covered by re-finishing.

I'm confused about your confusion about the seat post clamp. The lugs on the seat tube may be rusty, but you're planning to re-finish it anyway, so no problem there - any rust will be removed. And there's plenty of rust elsewhere. It may be steel, but it takes a lot more rust than that to cause any structural weakness. (It's very rare indeed for a steel frame to fail from rust: cracks are much more common, and even they can often be fixed).

The other part of the clamp is, as you say, a bolt. Which is rusty. So buy a new stainless steel one.

This sort of work is everyday bread and butter stuff to any frame-building workshop. They might charge you £5 or £10 to remove bosses on top of the cost for re-finishing.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

ok cheers
is 126mm a standard hub width? i've only seen 120 and 135
(i thought 135 was a MTB size anyway and standard road bikes were 130?)

OP
OP
B

bonj2

also, which of the following is correct?
* it's easy to take the headset off
* it's easy to put the headset back on again
* you need a special tool to do the above
* the quill stem has no direct connection to the headset, only to the steerer by virtue of friction caused by expansion
* the only purpose of the headset is to hold the forks to the headtube of the frame

Amanda P

Legendary Member
126 mm was standard in the days of 5 and 6-speed screw-on freewheels. It could easily be sprung to take a 130mm hub, or cold-set.

In any case, fixed hubs usually come with a selection of spacers and washers that can be added or removed to suit the frame spacing, so fitting a fixed hub in it would be no problem.

Removing and re-fitting a headset is not difficult.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

would it be possible to fill the back brake hole up? (with brass?)
and the spacers could be used to tweak the chain line presumably by having them on the right or left?

RedBike

Am I the only person who's completely shocked by this thread?

It wasn't so long ago that Bonj didn't see the point of fixed wheel bikes and wouldn't be seen dead on one!

OP
OP
B

bonj2

no, i only didn't see the point in single speed bikes. Which i still don't. My feelings towards fixed has been at most confused.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
bonj said:
would it be possible to fill the back brake hole up? (with brass?)
and the spacers could be used to tweak the chain line presumably by having them on the right or left?

Yes, it'd be possible, but pointlessly extreme. It's not a hole you're ever going to notice - not like the DT lever bosses. Besides, one day you might want to fit mudguards. :sad: You might want to remove the rear derailleur cable stop on the right hand chainstay though. And if you're determined not to have a back brake, you'd probably want to lose the cable guides on the top of the top tube.

And yes, you could use axle spacers in that way, but the usual plan is to add or remove equal amounts of spacers from both sides, so that the wheel remains central relative to the frame.

Chain line is usually tweaked by varying bottom bracket axle length and choosing whether the chain ring is bolted on the inside or outside of the chainset spider. If you're really anal about it, you can put washers between the spider and chain ring. Some posh bottom brackets are adjustable so that you can tweak the chainline that way.

Yes, I am shocked. But I'm trying to be helpful and persuasive. Is it working?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

see what you mean about it being anal to fill the back brake hole up, yes it would a bit wouldn't it. Would want to remove the cable stops though.

Bear in mind that i'm not living in sheffield at the minute, so the feasibility of a fixed is a lot higher. By the time i'm living in sheffield again, i might have got strong enough for it not to matter!

Top Bottom