handlebars on fixed and track bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bonj2

now if i was getting a fixed i would want nice wheels ideally with deep section rims and washing-basket hubs! where would i get those>? Or if tha't snot possible for like, less than a grand say, then all black wheels or deep rims and black hubs or normal rims and washing basket hubs. Basically as many as possible out of: washing basket hubs, black, deep rims, radial, light, stiff, strong.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
When you get it back to Sheffield, you might want that back brake put back on...

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Uncle Phil said:
When you get it back to Sheffield, you might want that back brake put back on...
nah, i won't need a back brake. I hardly ever need a back brake on my freewheeling road bike, so i certainly wouldn't on a fixed.
the only times i've ever used the back brake:
* before i knew that there was no point
* stopping at the lights on east bank road (steep) from 40mph,which made it fishtail
* when slowing down for a junction whilst simultaneously having a drink with my right hand.
domtyler said:
Have you thought about colour schemes yet bonj?
BLACK!

Uncle Phil said:
Are these any good?

yeah they're NICE! $150 though? tha'ts cheap, is there a catch?
edit: 1200g, is that fairly heavy?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Or these?

I've got a pair similar to these, but with slightly different Weinmann rim. The hubs are very smooth indeed. They're evidently machine-built, so they needed a little work to get them tensioned nicely and to stay true, but not much. I think mine cost about £100 by the time I'd paid the shipping, VAT and import duty.

If you really want radial wheels, you can always have someone re-build them that way, but you'd need new, shorter spokes. I wouldn't recommend it.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

domtyler said:

isn't brick lane where they sell all bikes that have been nicked?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
You can pay $150, or you can pay £350 and save 272g.

(But in any case, the Wiggle wheels have a cassette rear hub, not a fixed one. Yes, you could use a cassette rear wheel with a converter, but that'd give you a single speed, and anyway it's a bodge and unworthy of the likes of you).

You pays your money...

You won't notice 270 g by the time you've put on tyres, tubes and rim tapes. You'd save more weight by taking a leak before you set off - and that won't cost you £200.

You could of course buy your rims and hubs separately and have someone build the wheels just the way you want them.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Uncle Phil said:
You can pay $150, or you can pay £350 and save 272g.

(But in any case, the Wiggle wheels have a cassette rear hub, not a fixed one. Yes, you could use a cassette rear wheel with a converter, but that'd give you a single speed, and anyway it's a bodge and unworthy of the likes of you).

You pays your money...

You won't notice 270 g by the time you've put on tyres, tubes and rim tapes. You'd save more weight by taking a leak before you set off - and that won't cost you £200.

You could of course buy your rims and hubs separately and have someone build the wheels just the way you want them.

hmmm... see your point, but it's more like a kg, not 270g
they're 1200g each, the easton ones are 1400 a PAIR
that doesn't include the cassette though does it - so i 'spose it's not too much of an issue really especially seeing as a fixed is going to be pretty light anyway as it doens't need a mech, cables, etc

nice wheels though so cheers for pointing that out.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

well my dad's got an old bike that's got a 531 frame and in a general state of disrepair, and VERY dusty, probably a bit rusty aswell, and he doesn't want it...probably hasn't been ridden for years... so i think i might do that up ...

Top Bottom