handshake etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sazzaa

Well, groping a stranger's breast while she is walking down the street chatting to a friend really wasn't acceptable (although some might regard it as a bit of harmless fun I suppose), and I didn't have time to think things through. With hindsight I should have kicked him in the balls but, like the punch, that line of attack was ruined by a decent upbringing and a reluctance to hurt people.

I'm not interested in whether I did the right thing or not, I was interested in whether any women on here have experience of actually punching someone and hurting them, because it seems to me to be something we might find quite difficult despite glibly saying it on the internet - actually that applies to a lot of stuff come to think of it.

While I was typing you have replied - that's very interesting. I found that although I was furious I was still prey to the conditioning that hitting someone in the face was wrong.

Hey I'm not saying it was the wrong thing to do. But punching a bloke in the face can go one of two ways, either he doesn't hit back because you're a girl and you're the one who ends up looking like the c*** (what, you hit a man knowing he can't hit you back?), or he hits you back, so much harder than you hit him.

I used to have a very short fuse so have ended up in fights when I was younger on a few occasions. Have punched a girl full force in the face and knocked her out. Not exactly proud of it now but she came at me first and it was an instant reaction. What should have happened is that I should have walked away. But you live and learn, and now if there's aggro I walk. I can't think of a time when I've hit a man in the face. Have elbowed men for unwanted groping in a bar though, a sharp elbow usually does the trick. I'm better with my words in real life, I'll happily shoot a man down if he's annoying me, it's easier to be mouthy and gets you in less trouble.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Top tip ladies: don't punch if you're not used to it. You need to get the reach right, the fist position and also not straighten the arm or you will get injured. A snap kick to the genitals then a HARD open-handed palm strike to the face will buy you a few seconds grace to get out of Dodge.

Sorry TF! You need to understand though that there is a link - the handshake is just a male way of saying 'I'm not going to punch you,' but in a more man-friendly way than using words.

The styles that people are describing here are just subtle body-language variations on this theme, such as 'I'm not going to punch you ... as long as you defer to me,' etc. etc.
No, no this adds je ne sais quoi, who knows where this will go, it's one of those threads. I'm betting on Moriarty or Medusa will pop up shortly. I have had a glass of red.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Now in my social circles we are 100% conventional handshake. But I worry of the time I will be called upon to shake hands with some youth, footballer, media type, rapper....and I go conventional, and they go all "lock thumbs" on me. Or horror of horrors, I meet the bank manager, headmaster etc and they give me the fist pump

I would look at them in distaste and tell them to grow up.

Top Bottom